• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Friday 31st Observing Evening

Started by Anonymous, May 28, 2005, 19:58:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Hello everybody, new forum member here so go easy on me...!

I have recently become fascinated by astronomy and am having great fun trying to get my head around some of the concepts.

First question, would it be ok for me to just troll up on Friday 31st to the observing evening? Second question, I am so tempted to go out and buy myself an ETX, but would love the opportunity to try one out "in anger". I notice the society has an ETX scope available for use by its members. Would this be taken to the Friday meet, and if so... I am sure you get the idea!!

Looking forward to getting a bit more involved with this scene. As a telescope virgin I have been reading other peoples experiences (mostly on the Weasner ETX site) with growing jealousy!

Steve

Mike

Please register so we know who you are!

Yes, you are more than welcome to come along to the Obs Session. We usually allow people to come along to about 2 or 3 Obs Sessions and/or meetings before they make their mind up about joining.

I will be bringing the ETX along, so weather permitting you will have a chance to have a go.

I must say that the ETX is optically very good, but the mount is very wobbly. If you are only going to be doing observational astronomy then that won't be a problem, but if you plan on doing astrophotography then it will be limited.

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rick

I sure hope you mean Tuesday 31st May!

SCJB

Ah, Monday I had Friday on my mind... Sorry, could not resist! I even put it down as Tuesday in the diary! Oh well.

As an aside, it's probably me being exceptionally thick, but I'm having trouble logging in as myself (SCJB) in that however many times I log-in it, never accepts it. If I try and send a "reset password" from the log-in screen,  it comes up with "Error 1 - Mail not sent". I have put down my username et al at the top of this reply box, so it will be interesting to see if it attributes this post to SCJB or anonymous!

Thanks for the prompt replies. Looking forward to learning!

Steve

Rick

There's a problem with the forum system that seems to affect some folks. The usual fix for "can't log in" ones is to tick the "Remember my login" box (and allow cookies to be set), but it doesn't work for everybody.

Incidentally, is "SteveB" also you, and if so, which of the two would you prefer?

SCJB

Ah yes, I did try registering again when trying to figure out the log-in issue. I'd prefer to keep the SCJB moniker if possible. Sorry for the duplication.

Steve