• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Sh2-129 Flying Bat Nebula and almost a disaster.

Started by Carole, Jun 22, 2020, 15:29:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

This is taken over 4 nights, but some nights I didn't collect much due to cloud, short nights and Clamshell dome obstruction as dome wouldn't move onto Dome table (but now fixed).

On the last night (21st June) I almost had a disaster as because I had put a cover over the kit to protect it while my dome table problem was being repaired, when I tried to take it off last night, it caught the filter wheel and spun it round so it became detached from the lens and both the Atik camera and EFW crashed onto the floor.  I was obviously very concerned that they were both broken, but luckily I think the foam flooring might have saved it.  Only trouble was it all had to be re-rigged and new flats done etc etc.  I supposed I just have to count my lucky stars and learn my lesson, and the camera and EFW are now also tied on.

I decided not to waste any more time trying to reveal the Squid in Bortle 8, though I did do twice as much data on Oiii as the Ha with a fast lens.

In total:
Ha 12 x 600secs (total 2 hours)
Oiii 2 x 20mins, 2 x 30mins, and 7 x 15mins 3 x 900secs binned x 2 (4 hours 10 mins)

Atik460EX and Samyang 135mm F2 lens @ F2.8
Guided on HEQ5

Total imaging time 6 hours and 10 mins.

RobertM

Nice capture Carole but shame the squid didn't turn out for you, I've heard it needs lots of subs to show properly.  I'm planing for this next month but I hope mine doesn't turn out to be damp squib too !

You were very lucky with the kit !  How many times did it spin around ?

Robert
PS. I'm still not sure where you get all these strange names from.

Carole

Thanks Robert.

The camera and EFW turned only about 90 degrees by the scope cover but I guess the weight once it was loosened rotated it further and probably about 180 degrees was enough to unhook it from the adapter.

I get all the names from Astrobin that every-one else calls them.  I don't make them up.
If you google Flying Bat nebula this comes up:
https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALeKk00eAnLrh4z6wnPf_M3yqOBwNPsT_Q:1592849394646&source=univ&tbm=isch&q=flying+bat+nebula&client=avast&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj1w-SygpbqAhWSgVwKHaIABmMQsAR6BAgKEAE&biw=1008&bih=608

I am going to try to get some more data on this when the nights get longer but I gather you really need a 3nm Oiii filter to get it and currently I only have an 8.5nm filter in the filterwheel that fits the Samyang and it's 35mm unmounted, so would be rather expensive to replace that with a 3nm filter even when they become available again. My other EFW with the 1.25" filters doesn't fit the Samyang lens, the opening is the wrong size and added adapters would mean I wouldn't be be able to get focus. 

I guess I could replace the carousel with 1.25" filters, but that is going to be a major not to mention expensive job, even if I re-sell the 35mm unmounted filters.

Last ditch effort, just for this one target I suppose I could swap the carousels once I get a 1.25" 3nm Oiii filter. 

Carole

MarkS

That's a great image Carole.  Unfortunately that squid is very elusive - it prefers to hide away undetected!

Sorry to hear about the equipment falling to the floor.  Looks like you were lucky though i.e. no damage!

Mark

Hugh

Sorry to hear about the disaster Carole ~ must have been a scary few of seconds.

But at least your computer didn't get a virus from the bat!!

Best

Hugh

Carole

Thanks Mark and Hugh, yes I can't believe how lucky I was that the camera and EFW were not smashed and unusable. 

So much for putting a cover onto the equipment to protect it..........!?$

QuoteBut at least your computer didn't get a virus from the bat!!
Lol.

Carole

Roberto

Great field Carole!  A lucky escape for your setup; those must have been some anxious moments. 
I've had my 10" f/20 Mak - all of its 20kgs of it - fall from the mount on my leg middle of the night as a dovetail became loose in falling temperature...I'm glad my leg was there because although I had a massive bruise for days, the scope or its glass did not suffer... :o

Roberto

Carole

QuoteI've had my 10" f/20 Mak - all of its 20kgs of it - fall from the mount on my leg middle of the night as a dovetail became loose in falling temperature...I'm glad my leg was there because although I had a massive bruise for days, the scope or its glass did not suffer... :o
OMG.  I fell over once carrying my ED120, a while ago now and can't remember what made me fall, luckily I was on grass and managed to fall without dropping the scope!!!!

Carole