• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Shooting Star or....

Started by ApophisAstros, May 07, 2020, 10:54:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick

Quote from: Apophis on May 09, 2020, 11:52:19There is a timecode top left.
The digits are 5 pixels high in the video FB is sending me, and it won't send me a better resolution version, so the timecode is not legible.

I'd say if it was moving slower than ISS then it's a plane. If it was moving faster than ISS then it's a meteor. Meteors with trails aren't that rare, but nice to see. Very occasionally the trails persist, particularly if they're illuminated in twilight.

If you really want to figure out what you saw, try to extract at least three of the best frames at the best available resolution, and look closely from there.

Hugh

The SPA website (see link below) gives good information on the possibles and the comments on contrails and, importantly, the length of time visible (here well over 2 minutes) would seem to point more towards it being an aircraft.  Pity, as when I first saw it I thought what a great catch! 

Still, got us talking Roger.

https://www.popastro.com/main_spa1/meteor/fireball-sightings/ (also highlighted by Rick).

Best

Hugh