• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

M3 and Virgo galaxies

Started by Roberto, Apr 15, 2020, 14:44:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Roberto

Hello All

I trust you are well and making the most out of the lemons we've been handed!

I completed the attached M3 last week and am now working on the Eastern part of the Virgo cluster (did the Markarian Chain a few years ago) in the first half of the night and a region in Vulpecula in the second half.  M3 is only 7hrs worth of colour exposure so I decided to combine the RGB files to create a synthetic luminance to deconvolve and stretch. The annotated Virgo Cluster image is 3hrs worth of exposure; hope to do more over the next few nights.  Nothing to show for Vulpecula yet!

Last night's seeing was some of the best I've had in England for double star observation; get out there tonight if clear!

Best wishes

Roberto

M3 - wide field https://www.astrobin.com/q697mv/D/?real=&nc=user

M3 - Annotated

M88 and friends - work in progress

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messier_88

Carole

Some nice targets there Roberto.

Carole

Roberto

Thank you Carole! Hope you are well.

NoelC

Really nice Roberto.
Excellent tracking and resolution.
Noel
Swapped telescopes for armchair.

Roberto

The Thing

That is one sharp well resolved M3. Fantastic Roberto. The galaxies are not shoddy either!

Roberto

Thank you Duncan - the wonders of deconvolution!

Roberto

RobertM

Just goes to prove that not all lemons are created equal :)

Lovely images as ever but... I can only ever see half of it full res on my monitor any one time :(

Robert

ApophisAstros

Wonderful images Roberto , how do you annotate them, great when you zoom in.
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

Roberto

Robert, many thanks.

Roger, there's a script in PixInsight that does this (semi)automatically. The image must be astrometrically solved and then catalogues are loaded to place markers on objects by coordinates. It's very impressive.

Thanks

Roberto

ApophisAstros

Cheers for that heads up,
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.