• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Making the most of the Sun in lock-down

Started by Roberto, Apr 10, 2020, 18:04:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Roberto

Hope you are all well!

Taken over the last week or so.  Seeing has not been great but there's been enough Sun shining to try my luck:

Full disc on 4 April:

Close-up on 4 April:

Prominence on 4 April:

And another one 4 April:

Animation of looping prominences from 5 April taken over 2.5hrs:

Close-up of fila-prom earlier today, 10 April:

Roberto

Rick

Nice selection, Roberto. Here we've only had one short night of rain in three weeks, and the sky has been thick with haze the last few days, so I'm glad you could see something through it. At lest there are far fewer contrails to contend with.

MarkS

Great results!

What scope and camera are you using?  Are some of them single exposures?

Mark

Roberto

Thank you Rick. Yes, skies are pretty hazy here too and I'm hoping for some rain soon to clear them up. Seeing has been very good at night for my double star observations.

Mark, these are taken with a 94mm f/7 refractor for the full discs and adding a 2.25x Barlow for the closeups. They are all videos at high frame rates (18 to 70 FPS). Frames are then sorted and only the best 5-15% stacked for processing. I use software called Firecapture for acquisition and Autostakkert for sorting and stacking.

Roberto

The Thing

Really nice Roberto.

FYI I use Furecapture a lot and Autostakkert!3. I have just given PlanetarySystemStacker a go and had a good experience, it might be a good option for solar images. Even Emil Kraaikamp of AS3 fame is looking to get involved in PSS as an open source project and has been posting on the PSS forum.

RobertM

Very nice Roberto.  I especially like the video.

Robert

Roberto

Thank you both. I need to try PSS once more. I did try it some time ago but found it only to work on the Moon. It was an earlier version.

Roberto

Carole

Some good results there Roberto, especially the animation.

Carole

NoelC

The full frame image is terrific - the detail.

Very interesting Roberto.

Noel
Swapped telescopes for armchair.

Roberto

ApophisAstros

Wonderful solar work there Roberto, hope to get out myself in the next few days, i am still working out the pressure tuning but i have auto focus now so thats easier.
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.