• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Upgrading to Windows 10

Started by MarkS, Jan 08, 2020, 09:09:31

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

Windows 7 support is coming to an end so I decided to upgrade my main desktop machine.

It can still be done for free following the instructions I found here:
https://www.cnet.com/how-to/upgrade-to-windows-10-free-heres-how/

In total it took it took nearly 10 hours to do but all my existing apps are still there and everything appears to be working well.

Mark

ApophisAstros

Yes it does take ages i dont know why ,i recentlly formatted my laptop and did a fresh install to clear any crap off my system as i have a key.
Works so much faster now.
Hope you get on ok with it as i swear by it , had it since the beta came out in 2014.
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

RobertM

Excellent and that's how it went with me four years ago.  There can be one or two issues to be aware of if UAC is enabled but other than that and disabling automatic updates all is good.

Robert

Carole

I had to replace my Desktop a few months ago as the W7 one was getting so slow it was hardly useable.  Phil Bourke has taken that away to do a re-vamp on it (for himself), I think he's going to put Linux on it.

I always buy my Desktops and laptops as reconditioned.  I bought a W10 for the desktop on Roger's recommendation, but I still have W7 for imaging having heard so many nightmare stories about imaging problems, I hardly ever use them on the internet, and it's normally just to use them on Team Viewer.

Very pleased with the W10 desktop, but I hate the page that pops up if you click on the window button, it keeps rearranging the icons and 3/4 of the page is filled up with things I never use.

Also getting into the "works" of the computer is difficult to find anything, i.e. if I want to see the specs of the computer or device manager, or remove a programme, it's not at all obvious how to do it now and always involves a bit of a search.  If I use the Search button at the bottom is takes me into the internet usually. 

Why do they have to mess about with things that work perfectly well and gives you a load of stuff they presume you will need when in fact you don't.

Carole

ApophisAstros

Quote from: Carole on Jan 08, 2020, 10:56:10
I had to replace my Desktop a few months ago as the W7 one was getting so slow it was hardly useable.  Phil Bourke has taken that away to do a re-vamp on it (for himself), I think he's going to put Linux on it.

I always buy my Desktops and laptops as reconditioned.  I bought a W10 for the desktop on Roger's recommendation, but I still have W7 for imaging having heard so many nightmare stories about imaging problems, I hardly ever use them on the internet, and it's normally just to use them on Team Viewer.

Very pleased with the W10 desktop, but I hate the page that pops up if you click on the window button, it keeps rearranging the icons and 3/4 of the page is filled up with things I never use.

Also getting into the "works" of the computer is difficult to find anything, i.e. if I want to see the specs of the computer or device manager, or remove a programme, it's not at all obvious how to do it now and always involves a bit of a search.  If I use the Search button at the bottom is takes me into the internet usually. 

Why do they have to mess about with things that work perfectly well and gives you a load of stuff they presume you will need when in fact you don't.

Carole
i will show you a few shortcuts when i next see you.
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

Carole

RobertM

Carole,

It's easy to rearrange the tiles after pressing the windows button.  I removed all the rubbish and put on what was useful to me.

Robert

Carole

Thanks, just done it. Didn't know you could, thought it was all in-built.
Thanks for that.

Carole

The Thing

Not had a problem with Win10 or updates (yet) and I hate those tile things. What codswallop.

Fay

Had my laptop updated to 10. just trying out the cameras etc, indoors, to see if they connect. Astroart says no camera when QSI is plugged in also Lodestar not showing up. its a long time since i was on there and so I could be doing something wrong. i think, oh should I switch back to 7, or blaze on?
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Roy

Hi Mark,

Nearly a week on since your Win 10 upgrade, has there been any problems yet?

Roy

MarkS

Quote from: Roy
Hi Mark,
Nearly a week on since your Win 10 upgrade, has there been any problems yet?
Roy

None so far and I'm using it for hours each day.

Mark

The Thing

Quote from: Fay on Jan 13, 2020, 14:17:03
Had my laptop updated to 10. just trying out the cameras etc, indoors, to see if they connect. Astroart says no camera when QSI is plugged in also Lodestar not showing up. its a long time since i was on there and so I could be doing something wrong. i think, oh should I switch back to 7, or blaze on?

Hi Fay, you probably need to reinstall drivers, Win10 has a habit of removing things if it thinks they won't work under Win10 when you upgradeor M$ just is being annoying. They do work once reinstalled. I had a load of programs disappear after one update. I think they have stopped doing that as it hasn't happened for at least 6 months and I have put things back. I've been using it on my old laptop, desktop and newish whizzy laptop and have had no problems that I didn't have with previous Windows versions  :}

Carole

The only problem I have had with using my W10 Desktop, is my external webcam which I use for skype calls and also for making my video tutorials.

It told me that the drivers were incompatible, so I didn't use it for quite a while, but eventually I found it WAS installed (stupid computer), but now I find I can't get into the controls of the Microphone etc in the same way as I used to, it's a very roundabout method. 

Otherwise I have had no problems, but I am not using it for imaging.

Carole

ApophisAstros

Quote from: Carole on Jan 16, 2020, 11:58:51
The only problem I have had with using my W10 Desktop, is my external webcam which I use for skype calls and also for making my video tutorials.

It told me that the drivers were incompatible, so I didn't use it for quite a while, but eventually I found it WAS installed (stupid computer), but now I find I can't get into the controls of the Microphone etc in the same way as I used to, it's a very roundabout method. 

Otherwise I have had no problems, but I am not using it for imaging.

Carole
Just run Sharpcap and choose that camera?
Roger