• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Flying Dragon(s) Sh2-114 from Bortle 8

Started by Carole, Aug 27, 2019, 16:00:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

VERY faint object - taken from home, just didn't want to waste the lovely clear skies we have been having lately.

It's quite noisy but to be expected in the circumstances, I must try this again at a dark site.
I decided as I went along that I needed to increase the length of Ha exposures, hence the different lengths.
Plus a meridian flip in the middle of it all, a bit of a mission to process with the RGB being binned anyway.
Ha 900 x 14
Ha 600 x 2
Ha 1200 x 4 (total Ha 5 Hours 10mins
RGB 9 x 300 binned x 2
RGB 15 x 200 binned x 2
Total RGB 1 hour 35mins

Grand total 6 hours 45 mins
Atik428EX, SWED80, HEQ5

Mapped HaRGB

Roberto

Very good image Carole! This is a really cool object and the star field is full of colours.

Roberto

Carole

Thanks Roberto, it was quite difficult to process, I might go back and have another tweak.

Carole

The Thing

Another good and interesting subject. You are on a roll Carole.

ApophisAstros

Think you have got me into a whole different catalogue!
Like this one,
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

Carole

NoelC

Very good Carole
- must be very feint.

Noel
Swapped telescopes for armchair.

Carole

Quotemust be very feint.
It certainly was Noel, I could just about see the "eyebrows" of the Dragon after a 900sec sub

Carole

Hugh

Good one Carole ~ really can see the dragon!

Hugh

Carole

MarkS

Dragons! That's not one I'm familiar with.

It's come out well - nicely processed.

Mark

Carole

Thanks Mark, had to push the processing a bit to "find" it, and not happy with the large stars, so looking forward to having another attempt from a dark location.

You should take a look on Astrobin at the global stream and see the images that others post, every now and then you will find a one that is new to you, and you can save it to your bookmarks.  That's where I get all these lesser known ones from.

I think I will do it with the Atik460EX next time for a bigger FOV.

Carole

Carole

I took another looking at the processing:

ApophisAstros

Like the new one ,  hopefully have a chat at Kelling to see what you did to make it better,
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.