• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Jupiter 20-June-2019

Started by MarkS, Jun 21, 2019, 06:57:40

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

Jupiter last night showing the great red spot and the transition of its moon Io.   
Altair Astro GPCAM2 on Celestron C11 with 2x Barlow and ZWO Anti Dispersion Corrector.  4500 frames at 50frames/sec stacked with AutoStakkert!3

Obviously it's very low in the sky and the seeing was none too good, both affecting the image quality.  But it seems the GRS has not unravelled further.

Mark

Carole

Must be quite a challenge to get the planets at the moment being so low in the sky.  I seem to have read somewhere that the GRS is smaller than it was and not just because of the recent unravelling event.  Is it my imagination, but it does indeed look smaller to me?

Well done for getting what you have. 

Carole

ApophisAstros

Nice image, a nice Moon shadow as well?
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

MarkS

Quote from: Apophis
Nice image, a nice Moon shadow as well?
Roger

Yes, that'll be Io's shadow.  The question is where is Io itself?  Camouflaged against Jupiter I think.

Mark

NoelC

Very good Mark
The spot is quite clear.

Noel
Swapped telescopes for armchair.

The Thing

Good catch Mark. According to WinJupos ephemerides Io should be just about 0.5 cm (on your image:) to the right of the shadow. I think its just above the dark band making the light band a little darker.

Hugh

Thanks Mark ~ good to see a planet featured.

Hugh