• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Two Thirds of a Triplet

Started by MarkS, Apr 09, 2019, 21:57:13

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

M65 & M66 taken over 2 nights:  25/26 Feb 2019

Modified Sony A7S on Celestron C11 with Starizona LF 0.72x Corrector
6.5hours of data in 30sec subexposures - yes that's nearly 800 subs!

Larger version here:
http://www.markshelley.co.uk/Astronomy/2019/m65m66_20190225.jpg

Mark

RobertM

That's wonderful Mark !  If any criticism, and to be really picky, I would say, given how smooth the data seems to be, that it could possibly take a bit more sharpening.  I especially like the detail in M65, and the reason I think it could possibly take a bit more sharpening.

Edit... 800 subs ! that must have taken a while to process especially as, I assume, you drizzle stacked it !

Robert

Carole

Excellent Mark, Great detail and colour.
I think I agree with Robert that it could take a bit more selective sharpening, though still great as it is.

Quoteyes that's nearly 800 subs!
:! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wow, you must have a very good computer.  I recently downloaded a whole load of Roger's CMOS subs and it really overloaded my computer, I was glad to delete them again.  But I guess mine is older and less good spec than yours.

Carole

The Thing

That is really wonderful hubbly jubbly image. Loads of lovely detail and excellent colour without overdoing it. When you look around there are quite a few tiddly galaxies in evidence as well. Lovely.

Hugh

Lovely picture Mark and to think that there is (in simple distance from Earth terms) 6 million light years between them!

Hugh

NoelC

Lovely detail on the galaxies, well done Mark.
Noel
Swapped telescopes for armchair.

MarkS

Quote from: RobertM
That's wonderful Mark !  If any criticism, and to be really picky, I would say, given how smooth the data seems to be, that it could possibly take a bit more sharpening.  I especially like the detail in M65, and the reason I think it could possibly take a bit more sharpening.

Edit... 800 subs ! that must have taken a while to process especially as, I assume, you drizzle stacked it !

It might take a tiny bit more deconvolution but I was trying to keep the noise artifacts under control.

Yes, 800 subs took ages to calibrate and integrate - especially using my usual 2x drizzle.  I reckon the calibration, stacking and drizzle stacking took around 6 hours.

Mark