• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

IC 1396 Elephants Trunk Nebula HaRGB

Started by ApophisAstros, Mar 27, 2019, 11:19:25

Previous topic - Next topic

ApophisAstros

Taken last night
SQM 19.66 at 1am
25 x Ha 150s
6 Each RGB
15 x Darks
15 x RGB of each
Gain 111
Offset 20

Imaging telescope or lens:Altair Astro Lightwave 66ED-R
Imaging camera:ZWO ASI183MM Monochrome 4/3" CMOS USB3.0 Deep Sky Imager Camera
Mount:Skywatcher EQ6-R PRO Synscan
Guiding cameras:Skywatcher 9x50 Finderscope,  QHYCCD 5L-II MONO
Focal reducer:Baader 0.8x Reducer-Field Flattener
Software:Astro Photography Tool,  DeepSkyStacker x64 by Luc Coiffier, Tony Cook, David C. Partridge Deepsky Stacker 4.1 64bit
Filters:ZWO CCD LRGB Filter-Set 36mm,  Baader Ha 7nm,  zwo EFW 7-position Filter Wheel for 36mm Unmounted Filters
Accessories:Aurora Eurotech Flat Panel,  QHYCCD PoleMaster

Resolution: 5496x3672
Dates:March 25, 2019
Frames: 43x150"
Integration: 1.8 hours
Avg. Moon age: 19.57 days
Avg. Moon phase: 76.07%
Astrometry.net job: 2604624
RA center: 325.147 degrees
DEC center: 57.573 degrees
Pixel scale: 1.582 arcsec/pixel
Orientation: 353.286 degrees
Field radius: 1.453 degrees
Locations: Home, Worthing, West Sussex, United Kingdom
Data source: Backyard
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

RobertM

A good start Roger, the colour balance makes it look a bit salmon though.

I'm not sure but your flattener distance might be causing some coma towards the edges.

Robert

The Thing

Hi Roger,
Doesn't look like a salmon on my monitor, but it is very red, not much evidence of the RGB? There is some nice detail trying to get out of the image.  Did you do any processing after DSS?

PS. I would try Sharpcap Pro's sensor analysis and smart histogram to see if it makes a recommendation for your camera offset that differs from that which you used. Worked wonders for me, the driver default of 30 was pants. Lots more of the faint data is captured at offset 4 on my ASI294 (max 80).

Carole

Overall it is a big improvement on your previous image of this area and shows some nice detail.

What method are you using to apply the Ha? 

Carole

RobertM

Quote from: The Thing on Mar 27, 2019, 15:33:19
Hi Roger,
Doesn't look like a salmon on my monitor, but it is very red, not much evidence of the RGB? There is some nice detail trying to get out of the image.  Did you do any processing after DSS?

PS. I would try Sharpcap Pro's sensor analysis and smart histogram to see if it makes a recommendation for your camera offset that differs from that which you used. Worked wonders for me, the driver default of 30 was pants. Lots more of the faint data is captured at offset 4 on my ASI294 (max 80).
Must be my eyes as I still see a reddish salmon colour :(

After going to the Astro show two weeks ago and have SharpCaps author demo the new features, I've started using them as well.  Luminance 180s Gain 0 and 5nm Ha 600s gain 64 were recommended for my ASI183MM and they seem to be as good a settings as I could get fiddle faffing around or using guestimation.  Quick as well once the sensor analysis is complete.

Robert

Carole

Any chance of posting up the processed Ha and the processed RGB as separate images, I'd like to see what is going on with the processing.

One thing that can be tricky is that the RGB stars will be larger than the Ha stars. 

Carole

ApophisAstros

Thanks Carole, Duncan and Robert, i am happy with the corners Robert,but colours need attention i know.
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.