• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

M78 improved image

Started by Carole, Mar 12, 2019, 23:39:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

Always something new to learn.
Not a reprocess, just some extra "tweaks".

Was never really happy with the original, but having learned a bit more processing technique I have tweaked the image.

Originally imaged in late 2017 @ Cairds

Which do you prefer and why?

A)

B)

JohnP

Can you present them with the same orientation as easier to compare.

Carole

Rotated version for comparison, but the rotation was one of the things I thought I had improved on.

JohnP

My preference is the top one with all the brown dust. John

Carole

Thanks John, I was hoping you would say that.  This is my latest version, and I think the colour balance is better, was never happy with the original yet my usual method of colour balancing resulted in the first effort, so this time I "did my own thing" and am happier with it.

Carole

ApophisAstros

i like that dark stuff and would like to capture some myself, would i need to get Oii aswell or would i be able with just HaRGB,?
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

Carole

Roger, this is an HaLRGB image.

Carole

RobertM

Definitely A, the colour balance looks more correct than B.

Carole

Thank you Robert.

Carole

NoelC

Don't know if it's correct or not, but prefer A.
Very good Carole.
Noel
Swapped telescopes for armchair.

Carole

Thanks Noel.

Well the overall consensus seems to be for version A), (also the same opinion on SGL). 
Glad I took the trouble to go back and rectify it.

Also no-one has commented on the fact (perhaps they didn't notice) that the stars are smaller and less distracting to the nebula on version A).  I found a much better tutorial on how to do this.

Carole

The Thing

I think they both have their merits but A) has the wow factor.

Carole