• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Mandel-Wilson 2 - tough one for London

Started by Roberto, Mar 03, 2019, 11:12:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Roberto

I managed to make the most of the good spell of weather we had a week ago and captured over 22 hours of data for this one. It's a very faint object to image from London as, although it sits high up in the North sky, it rides over the LP dome of London.
More information here:
https://www.astrobin.com/393499/C/?nc=user  - check the annotated version for all the background galaxies!

And image here:

JohnP

Excellent again Roberto - love your processing technique. I'd be really interested to see what a single raw looks like?

Cheers,  John

Roberto

Hi John

Attached is a single shot of 600s, calibrated and stretched.   This is one of the cleanest sub-frames taken around culmination at 1AM.

Roberto

JohnP

Thks Roberto. Amazing detail for a single 10 min sub. I love all the background galaxies. No idea what your workflow is from raw to finished image but really like your subtle processing technique.  Cheers,  john

Roberto

John
Thank you. When I first started using PixInsight to do all my processing, I followed the procedures set out in Warren Keller's online tutorials:  https://www.ip4ap.com/index.htm
I think he's added even more since and there are other sources such as Adam Block's.
Roberto

MarkS

A tough one for London.  Now that's an understatement! I think you've done an excellent job there.

You have certainly earned my respect by imaging interstellar dust from the London suburbs!!

Mark

Roberto

RobertM

Sorry for the late reply.  I've seen this image earlier but thought it deserved more time to fully appreciate the detail.  It's a superb result from anywhere let alone a London suburb !  As well as the dust there are all those groups of background galaxies.  22 hours is a lot of exposure but it's needed with our skies, I think that's three times longer than I've ever done.  Voyager is certainly giving you some excellent data to work with and the processing is nice and subtle, I like it a lot.

Robert

Roberto

Thanks you Robert, very kind. I hope you have solved the driver issues and Voyager is working for you now.
Roberto