• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Earth's Shadow 21 Jan 2019

Started by MarkS, Jan 28, 2019, 22:24:54

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

The following way of looking at eclipse data seems to have become popular:

I think it has a lot to commend it.

Mark

Carole

Oh wow, very clever, but also confusing to a non astro person I would have thought.

Carole

MarkS

Quote from: Carole
Oh wow, very clever, but also confusing to a non astro person I would have thought.

I think it's confusing enough for an astro person!

The next thing I want to do is to make another movie.  The previous one showed the earth's shadow passing across the moon.  The next one will keep the shadow fixed and the moon will move through that shadow.

Mark

Carole

NoelC

Very ingenious!
Was that the actual path of the moons transit through the shadow?
Looking forward to the movie.

Noel
Swapped telescopes for armchair.

The Thing

I like that Mark, how did you assemble it? Photoshop layers? Interesting how the red moon appears a little smaller than the fully illuminated disc. An optical illusion that is apparent due to the juxtaposition on your montage no doubt.

ApophisAstros

Another great image ,
have you got some specific software for the moon images/videos .?
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

MarkS

I used Photoshop layers for everything. 

For the video Photoshop did all the image alignment (as a stack of frames) - I just needed to manually align a few frames where it failed. 

I used VirtualDub to create the video from the frames output by Photoshop.

Mark

MarkS

Quote from: NoelC
Was that the actual path of the moons transit through the shadow?

It depends what you mean.  Of course the moon didn't spiral into the earth's shadow.  On the other hand, the size of the shadow is correct and each moon image is correctly positioned with respect to the shadow.  The moon was also in the upper half of the Earth's shadow at totality, just as you see in my image.

Mark

MarkS

There seem to be three obvious ways to make a movie:

• Keep the Moon stationary and watch the Earth's shadow pass over it
  • Keep the Earth's shadow stationary and watch the Moon pass through it
  • Keep the background stars stationary, then both the Moon and Earth's shadow are in motion

Mark

RobertM

That looks excellent Mark, it's an interesting perspective that I've not seen before and looks quite effective.  Must have taken a while to lign everything up ?

Robert