• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

The Lunar Eclipse 21 Jan 2019 - first half of a Super Blood Red Wolf Moon!

Started by The Thing, Jan 21, 2019, 13:49:18

Previous topic - Next topic

The Thing

I was able to observe the full eclipse with my Fiona and the dog sitting on a sofa by the full height windows, very cosy. The grass was very very frosty last night. Sods law dictated that I went to bed before the imaging run finished and Firecapture wasn't able to keep track of the Moon once it had gone dark and really lost it when the limb started to brighten again so the end of the animation might make you seasick.

179 x 0.0002s at 60s intervals using G200-400 (set by Firecapture histogram function) T-20C using planet tracking function (N.B. for future, PE error correction would have helped)
Image date, time and location:   2019-01-21 03:58 - 06:58CET Manche, France
Telescope aperture and focal ratio:   TS1506UNC f4, TS Komakorr
Camera and filters used:   ZWO ASI294MC Pro, Revelation UV/IR 1.25" filter
Processing applied:   Firecapture, PIPP

Carole

Well done Duncan, I like to see an animation of this event.

Carole

ApophisAstros

RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

Hugh

Thank you Duncan

I can look at this and don't feel so bad now about not seeing it in any great part because of this horrendous flu/cough I have.  Although at 0500 I did drag myself out of bed to view through the bathroom window despite my 101.5 temp.  You have to try ~ it's the last one here for 10 years after all.

Good on you imagers!

Hugh

MarkS

Quote from: The Thing on Jan 21, 2019, 13:49:18
I was able to observe the full eclipse with my Fiona and the dog sitting on a sofa by the full height windows, very cosy. The grass was very very frosty last night. Sods law dictated that I went to bed before the imaging run finished and Firecapture wasn't able to keep track of the Moon once it had gone dark and really lost it when the limb started to brighten again so the end of the animation might make you seasick.

179 x 0.0002s at 60s intervals using G200-400 (set by Firecapture histogram function) T-20C using planet tracking function (N.B. for future, PE error correction would have helped)
Image date, time and location:   2019-01-21 03:58 - 06:58CET Manche, France
Telescope aperture and focal ratio:   TS1506UNC f4, TS Komakorr
Camera and filters used:   ZWO ASI294MC Pro, Revelation UV/IR 1.25" filter
Processing applied:   Firecapture, PIPP

Well done Duncan, that's a good result.  I was outside in the freezing observatory the whole time taking bracketed shots.  It's the last opportunity for more than 10 years and amazingly we were really lucky with the weather this time.

It'll take ages to process it :( 
But I've got 10 years to do it :)

Mark

The Thing

Quote from: MarkS on Jan 21, 2019, 19:56:11
Well done Duncan, that's a good result.  I was outside in the freezing observatory the whole time taking bracketed shots.  It's the last opportunity for more than 10 years and amazingly we were really lucky with the weather this time.

It'll take ages to process it :( 

Mark

Thanks Mark. I'm thinking of a collage of the best bits as well, never done one. I've also got a load of subs and video of the Moon before the event to process. It was a bit nippy in the observatory, but a lot colder out on the grass! As you say, ten years to process it.

The Thing

Quote from: Hugh on Jan 21, 2019, 17:40:01
Thank you Duncan

I can look at this and don't feel so bad now about not seeing it in any great part because of this horrendous flu/cough I have.  Although at 0500 I did drag myself out of bed to view through the bathroom window despite my 101.5 temp.  You have to try ~ it's the last one here for 10 years after all.

Good on you imagers!

Hugh

Get well soon Hugh. I'm glad the animation has made up for not being able to stand outside with the brass monkeys for a couple of hours while coughing for Britain.

The Thing

Carole

QuoteIt'll take ages to process it :( 

:lol: :lol:

Carole

Very nice Mark. Good colour.  Just wondering whether Doug will pick it up though buried in Duncan's thread.

Carole

ApophisAstros

stunning , great when an image comes out "as viewed ",
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

MarkS

Duncan,

Sorry for the unintentional hijack of your thread.  I've moved my image to a new thread.

Mark

The Thing

That's OK Mark, its all the same event, and your image is excellent BTW.