• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Witch Head nebula - experiment

Started by Carole, Dec 11, 2018, 21:37:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

I started this last month, but my FOV is too small (one of the reasons was to see how much I could get in), and secondly to see how faint it was.

I was horrified that every single sub had satelittes (sometimes a whole bunch of them and some going in different directions, plus plane trails through them.  Not having enough data before the clouds rolled in meant I had to spend ages trying to clone them out, it also means that the image is quite noisy. 
I contacted Mark as I recall him saying he had a target with geostationery satellites in it, and as some of the trails were the same as last month, I think that must indeed be the case.

I have decided not to bother further with the CCD camera on this target as the FOV is too small.  If I ever get another opportunity, I think I will do it with my DSLR.

Anyway:

3 x 600 Lum
+ 7 x 300 binned x 2
RGB 2 each binned

Atik460EX & WOZS71
HEQ5

Roberto

Carole
This must be a difficult target from anywhere in the UK.  My house sits to the south of my RoR so no luck for me on this one though I have always wanted to do it (my imaging FoV is 1.6 degrees square).

Roberto

Carole

NoelC

I think it's a good image.
I must have a look at this target to compare satellites!

Noel
Swapped telescopes for armchair.

Carole

QuoteI must have a look at this target to compare satellites!
It's a nightmare, I might even do a Mosaic of all the subs just to let you guys see how bad it was.

Carole

Carole

This is a selection of the fits files horribly stretched to show the satellites and planes trails.  There were none that had no satellites on, but I haven't put them all up as they don't all show until stacking and processing.

Click to enlarge.

MarkS

The image is looking good!

When I imaged the Witch Head I had the same problem with the geostationaries.   You can find my animation here:
http://forum.orpington-astronomy.org.uk/index.php?topic=10910

Mark