• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

M42 - 10 years on

Started by MarkS, Nov 14, 2018, 23:59:26

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

I can't believe it was fully 10 years ago that I first imaged the Orion Nebula through my Celestron C11 SCT scope.

I had some time left at the end of an imaging session a couple of weekends ago so I managed an hour of data before the clouds rolled on. Again using the C11, this time I'm using the Starizona Large Format 0.8x reducer/corrector and the modified Sony A7S.

90x30sec at ISO 10000 plus 10x30sec at ISO 1000 (for the core):

Two stacks were done in PixInsight and a single HDR image created from the result.
Stretched using PixInsight ArcsinhStretch (of course!)
Noise reduction done using Camera Raw Filter in Photoshop.

Larger version is here:
http://www.markshelley.co.uk/Astronomy/2018/M42_20181103_45min.jpg

If you want to compare it with the version from 10 years ago, it's here:
http://www.markshelley.co.uk/Astronomy/2008/m42_2008.html

Mark

Carole

The original version was pretty good even back then, but the new version is certainly showing more dust and detail.

I am pretty sure you have imaged M42 with your Tak Epsilon since then though, so I think I am right in saying this is a C11 10 year comparison.

It's 7 years since I imaged M42 and was thinking of doing a new version this winter too.

Carole

NoelC

Just awesome Mark.
The original was really good this one shows so much more detal.
Wonderful processing.

Noel
Swapped telescopes for armchair.

RobertM

That looks really good Mark, I especially like the smoky looking dusty detail inside the nebula.

Some of the smaller stars are showing what looks like a small blue registration artefact; other than that it looks spot on.

Robert

MarkS

Quote from: RobertM
Some of the smaller stars are showing what looks like a small blue registration artefact; other than that it looks spot on.

It's not a registration artefact but a chromatic aberration artefact.  Unfortunately, the corrector is not perfect.  It produces sharp stars right to the edge of a full frame camera but there is definite chromatic aberration on brighter stars.  It only shows on the smaller stars in my image because I had to employ fairly sophisticated techniques to treat the larger stars.  It's the first time I've needed to separate an image into a "star layer" and a "background layer".

Mark

Hugh

Wow Mark!  That colour looks so rich it could almost be a painting.

Hugh

ApophisAstros

Quote from: Hugh on Nov 22, 2018, 09:37:40
Wow Mark!  That colour looks so rich it could almost be a painting.

Hugh
I suppose we are painters to a certain extent as we put blank canvas down on screen and put whatever colour we want to wherever on the image . only the structure detail is constant. That's why when you look at compatible images online each one is different by varying degrees.
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.