• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Optolong NB filters discussion

Started by RobertM, Oct 25, 2018, 13:22:25

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertM

I thought this thread on CloudyNights was worth posting. for those interested in NB filters and considering Optolong:

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/602155-testing-optolong-and-baader-narrow-band-ha-sii-filter/

It makes an interesting read.

Robert

Carole

Interesting read, I have never before heard of Optolong filters, all mine are Baader. 

Carole

MarkS

I remember that thread well.  It's certainly one that will live in the memory!  It has most of the essential ingredients for a really entertaining thread.

I really love the poorly designed experiment that anyone can do at home  :cheesy:
This is an essential part of the fun because absolutely everyone can get involved and give their opinion :twisted:

The experimental design means you can't tell out-of-band sensitivity of the filter from out-of-band leakage from the screen's RGB emissions with the result that even Astrodon filters end up getting flak!

Unfortunately an expert enters the discussion and they actually listen to him.  The very best threads are those where the only person bringing sense to the conversation gets shot down in flames and ignored.

Astro-forums - you gotta love 'em   :boom:

Mark

P.S. I really want a proper spectrometer.