• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

DSC camp dates for 2019

Started by Carole, Sep 15, 2018, 11:56:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

Dates for 2019 are as follows.

Cutting down the number of camps to choose from did not help with the numbers this year and as those that want to go tend to go more frequently than the official dates I have chosen 7 camps for 2019 as holding UDSC's which were not on the calendar caused confusion for some of the new people wanting to come.

1 - 3 March
5 - 7 April
3 - 5 May

2 - 4 August (this one needs to be booked)
30 Aug - 1 September (this needs to be booked as still peak season)
27 - 29 September
25 - 27 October

Hope to see some of you there.

Carole

RafalK

Hello Carole,
Just as I thought the Herstmonceux Astronomy Festival will be taking place the same weekend as September DSC. https://www.the-observatory.org/events/astronomy-festival?fbclid=IwAR1ZNaFWociax5iTWeaYDbrnfnW4GBlZn_clyJbgweuYbNT5ByMeB-WUsdA
Would you perhaps like to reconsider the dates of your event?

RafalK

And by the way, would anybody else be interested in attending the festival?

Carole

QuoteJust as I thought the Herstmonceux Astronomy Festival will be taking place the same weekend as September DSC. https://www.the-observatory.org/events/astronomy-festival?fbclid=IwAR1ZNaFWociax5iTWeaYDbrnfnW4GBlZn_clyJbgweuYbNT5ByMeB-WUsdA
Would you perhaps like to reconsider the dates of your event?

Sometimes we can hold DSC a week earlier or a week later if the new Moon falls mid week, but on this occasion, it falls bang on the Saturday, so shifting the DSC dates does not work very well as you either get a last quarter the previous week (which matters for those who stay up all night), or a first quarter for the weekend after.

Plus it is in the OAS Calendar. 

There are plenty of other opportunities, during the year because we often go on the months in between the official dates, just keep the new Moon dates in your diary if you would like to come.

I never go to the Herstmonceaux Festival because there is no hook up, so can't do any imaging - or cooking.

Carole

ApophisAstros

I might do the weekend if i can get a room for £22 a night with facilities and Breakfast.
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

Carole

Roger, are you talking about Herstmonceaux or the DSC weekend?  Herstmonceux has no electric hook up, so you would need some other power for everything.

Carole

RafalK

Herstmonceux is great for lectures and learning new stuff, meeting other people and visual observing especially through those big dome telescopes. 

ApophisAstros

Quote from: Carole on Mar 05, 2019, 22:57:17
Roger, are you talking about Herstmonceaux or the DSC weekend?  Herstmonceux has no electric hook up, so you would need some other power for everything.

Carole
Herstmonceux
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.