• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Comet 21/p Giacobini-Zinner **Cropped

Started by ApophisAstros, Aug 16, 2018, 14:40:04

Previous topic - Next topic

ApophisAstros

My first comet image.!
264 x 20s Subs @ minus 20oC
60 x Darks
60 x Flats
I imaged this at the end of July in my back garden in Worthing , but only just processed it using DSS comet stacking and PS CC 64bit.
I compared it with this one on this site https://solarsystem.nasa.gov/small-bodies/comets/21p-giacobini-zinner/in-depth/and it compares well.
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

Carole

Its a bit dark Roger, and when stretched it reveals both stars and trailing (trailing is normal for comet stacking, so presume you put the stars back in).

But well done sussing out the DSS comet stacking mode, I found it very temperamental and ended up doing a manual stack. 

Carole

MarkS

Nicely caught!

Which camera and scope did you use?  I was guessing DSLR because you didn't mention separate R,G,B subs.  Then I noticed minus20C and I'm sure it hasn't been that cold in Worthing for a while!

From a processing point of view you must sort out the colour balance (it's far too blue on my screen) then brighten it up a bit.

Mark

ApophisAstros

My kit used is in the my signature , i agree with your comments.
Will try and finetune.
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

MarkS

Quote from: Apophis
My kit used is in the my signature.

Yes, that's true for now.  But in the future, when you upgrade your signature, it will no longer match the kit used for this image.

Mark

NoelC

Well done for finding it.

Noel
Swapped telescopes for armchair.

ApophisAstros

Quote from: MarkS on Aug 17, 2018, 09:02:25
Quote from: Apophis
My kit used is in the my signature.

Yes, that's true for now.  But in the future, when you upgrade your signature, it will no longer match the kit used for this image.

Mark
I will mainly use that kit and for the few times i may use my StarAdventurer and DSLR i will amend into post. But i only intend to use the same kit for ages.
Roger