• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Unbelievable Guiding!

Started by ApophisAstros, Jul 09, 2018, 06:21:34

Previous topic - Next topic

ApophisAstros

I got out last night to check my rig checking its ok for next weeks DSC and thought i would recalibrate Phd2(whichi had updated since last using), well it wouldn't bloody do it tried and tried. After consulting the 'Goooracle ', i came across a post from Carole from a while back with same problem , her answer was damp getting into the guide scope, then i remembered i had not switched on my dew heaters( it was 25 + oC when i set up). After waiting a while i recalibrated with plenty of steps and hey presto had the best guiding session of 3 1/2 hours as the picture shows never going over 1 arc minute the whole time!
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

Carole

Don't remember that problem, must have been a long time ago.  I too got really good guiding over the weekend with an RMS of 0.8 at one time, never seen my graph so flat.  I put this down to getting a better set of rings for the finderguider. 

It's the one supplied with the new Skywatcher Evoguide.  I bought it off some-one who bought the set up but didn't need the bracket.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/guide-cameras/sky-watcher-evoguide-50ed-guidescope.html

Quotenever going over 1 arc minute the whole time!
No idea how to tell what arc minutes I got.

Carole

The Thing

I was doing planets last night, the seeing was great, very little disturbance even at the low altitudes. I suspect it's because we are used to looking through the jet stream turbulence and it's been elsewhere for a few weeks now :) Of course this makes guiding better as you are not 'chasing the seeing'.

Carole