• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

M101 Friday 20 April

Started by MarkS, Apr 25, 2018, 00:40:57

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

Here is M101 taken last Friday.

Sony A7S on Celestron C11 with Starizona large format corrector (F7.2)

420x30sec at ISO 10000 i.e. 3.5 hours of total exposure time.

Again I used Bayer Drizzle stacking in PixInsight to preserve maximum sharpness followed up by slight deconvolution on the brighter areas of the image.

This is a quick processing job because unfortunately the stars are egg shaped - especially on the left hand side.  My suspicion is that the collimation was slightly out.  So I'm not as pleased with this image as the M51 Whirlpool Galaxy.  M101 is a tougher target in any case - especially those very faint outer arms.

Here's the larger version (crop at 100% scale):
http://www.markshelley.co.uk/Astronomy/2018/M101_C11_20180420.jpg

Mark

Carole

Lusciously lovely Mark, Most people would be quite happy with those stars in any case Mark, but you are a perfectionist.

I find this target very difficult and have yet to get a capture of it I am happy with.  Do you think the central detail might sharpen up a bit or have you already done that?

Carole

NoelC

Pretty fantastic Mark
Well done.
Noel
Swapped telescopes for armchair.

JohnP

Have to say you are highly critical Mark - this is a really difficult object due to its low overall surface brightness - Have to say this is one of the best presentations of this I have seen.. John

Mac

Again a very nice image,

Im sure between all of our imagers, there must be
a messier book to be published somwhere.

Mac