• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

24 hour clock

Started by Anonymous, Feb 18, 2005, 08:24:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Hi there my husband has bought himself a telescope but is unsure how to set up the 24 hour clock part of it. We need the 0h point. Can you offer any advice. We live in Edenbridge

Ian

Hi,

not entirely sure how to answer that. If the telescope is computerised then the manual is the best help you can get. However, I suspect that what you're really asking is how to use the "setting circles" on a manual mount. If so, don't worry. I personally have found setting circles next to impossible to use, mostly because they're too small, and paperwork with the telescope usually really bad.
The method I used for finding things is known as star hopping. Start pointing the scope at a known star (a very bright one usually) and using a chart hop from star to star until your target is in sight. You might like to take a look at a book called "Turn Left at Orion" ISBN 0521781906. It discusses what to look at and how to find them and is particularly aimed at small telescope users.

Good luck.

Anonymous

Many Thanks - I was trying to find a start point to set the RA ring and then plot the star coordinates,but as i am new to this I then realised that the 24hr ra is also turning with the stars so i was quite baffled in not being able to find a starting point to set the ring.Many thanks again for saying its almost impossible (i thought i was going mad).