• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Double Cluster with a Full SuperMoon

Started by Carole, Feb 01, 2018, 23:11:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

Took a chance on this one with it being a Supermoon, but did shortish subs and it was quite a way from the Moon, so I think I got away with it.

10 x 3min Luminance
12 x 90secs binned RED
10 x 90 secs binned GREEN
9 x 90 secs Binned BLUE
Skywatcher 130PDS & Atik460EX (Originally posted up as Atik314L in error) 
Baader coma corrector, HEQ5

Total 1 hour 16.5 mins
My first attempt at this target after 8 years of imaging !!!

The Thing

We need a Like button on the forum! I've tried this and always got dodgy stars and no colour. Good job. I was just saying to Noel on a PM that lots shortish subs are the way to go in dodgy skies, better chance of getting some good seeing windows.

JohnP

nice Carole - have always been disappointed with my attempts at this. Looks like you have a massive donut or something on LHS of image - John

Carole

Thanks Guys, I have just replaced the image as there was something distinctly dodgy with the stars on close up inspection. 

If I process the RGB combined I seem to end up with artifacts on individual channels stars, but if I process them separately before I combine it doesn't have that problem.

I have also now managed to get a little blue into the blue stars.

Carole

Carole

QuoteWe need a Like button on the forum!
That would be a good idea.

Carole

Carole

QuoteLooks like you have a massive donut or something on LHS of image
I saw that on the original process, and you are right as I did a big stretch of the original to reveal it and it is definitely there, but not on the revised version yet it was the same stacked and calibrated subs.

Weird. 

Carole

JohnP

Yep - can't see it now - Nice job - John

Carole

doug

Replaced your original Forum image with this one ... Doug.
Always look on the bright side of life ...

Carole

Mac

Nice Image.

QuoteTook a chance on this one with it being a Supermoon
:roll:
1st of jan was this years super moon..    Tut tut.
:cheesy:
Mac

Carole

Quote1st of jan was this years super moon..    Tut tut.
I don't go in for all this tosh, the Moon is the Moon, well was it a Blue Supermoon then?  all I know is it was at perigee and full and the 2nd one in a Month, isn't the Supermoon stuff really just for media sensationalism.

Carole

ApophisAstros

Absolutely what i was thinking ...most people wont even look up till the next one.
Although i was pleased to hear my Great Niece at 5 years old is being taught about the planets at school to the extent that she has them rolling around the front room to scale, and she can name each one!!!
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

Carole

Just realised my error, I posted this up as having been done with an Atik314L, I don't know how I made that error, but it was the Atik460EX.

Carole

JohnP

ha :-) I must admit when I first looked at it I thought it was a very widefield for the 314.... Nice,  John