• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Downloaded or updated CCleaner lately?

Started by Rick, Sep 18, 2017, 17:10:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick

Downloaded CCleaner lately? Oo, awks... it was stuffed with malware

Antivirus firm Avast has admitted inadvertently distributing a trojanised version of CCleaner, a popular PC tune-up tool, for nearly a month, infecting an estimated 2.27 million users.

Cisco Talos said it came across the malicious downloads while beta-testing a new exploit detection technology. Subsequent analysis revealed that hackers hijacked and hid malware inside versions of Avast's CCleaner application available for download between August 15 and September 12.

Anyone who downloaded the 5.33 version or updated their existing product during this timeframe became infected with a covert backdoor capable of spying on everything they did online.

More: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/09/18/tainted_ccleaner_downloads/

ApophisAstros

I recommend that you purchase a good quality virus protection system as Norton Antivrus or Mcaffee.
  I have had Norton AV right from windows 3.11(1982) when it was known as norton utillities and i can honestly say i never had a problem. Back on point , they now have all checks for malware adware and just about everything else. So no need to download anything security wise and take any chances , the £20 ish a year subscription is well worth it. I have always been suspicious of FREE antivirus programs as theres usually no such thing as a free lunch . That 2.27million affected users looks big but against just under 4 Billion users wordwide looks like its been nipped in the bud.
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

NoelC

Thanks for the heads up Rick
I use Avast, but tend to use Piriforms own CCleaner product (which I havent updated for ages).

Roger; I agree with using a decent antivirus but quality and McAfee don't belong in the same sentence.

Noel
Swapped telescopes for armchair.

ApophisAstros

Quote from: NoelC on Sep 18, 2017, 18:38:32
Thanks for the heads up Rick
I use Avast, but tend to use Piriforms own CCleaner product (which I havent updated for ages).

Roger; I agree with using a decent antivirus but quality and McAfee don't belong in the same sentence.

Noel
probably right by i havent used it but keep hearing it mentioned, just meant go with a proven name.
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

Rick

Quote from: Apophis on Sep 18, 2017, 17:35:20looks like its been nipped in the bud

It was up for nearly a month...  :unwell: :police:

Luckily, most users don't seem to be that bothered if the version they have is a mite out-of-date...  :twisted: