• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Antares and Rho Ophiuchi area with camera lens

Started by Carole, Jun 23, 2017, 19:59:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

This has been a real struggle.  Like Mark I have been wanting to get this image for years.  Tried from High Halden in 2013 and got one pane of Luminance of a huge mosaic.  Been trying ever since as it's low and not above the horizon for long.   So tried with a Camera lens at Cairds and the result was absolute rubbish as it was down in the Crud.

Tried again in Spain with my zoomable Canon lens at approx 100mm and 125mm but again the results were of poor quality, though better than Cairds.

Luckily I had also decided to take the Nifty 50 with me which will go down to F3.5 (the zoom lens only goes down to about F5).  I think you can just see the nose of the blue horsehead poking in at the top. 

I did not intend to get such a wide field at this but beggars can't be choosers, at least I got something.  Just hope I get the opportunity to image this with a scope one day. 

Anyway, this is a mixture of 5 x 5mins and 22 x 4mins F3.5 nifty 50 camea lens, modified Canon 1100D and ioptron Skytracker.