• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Jupiter and GRS 6-4-2017

Started by Carole, Apr 07, 2017, 15:39:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

My annual rubbish image of Jupiter.  Keep saying this will be my last one, but keep putting myself through it.  Doesn't bear close inspection. 

Moons are:
Bottom left Ganymede, top left Callisto (N.B,. Ganymede doesn't seem to show up on this Forum, but it is there on the original image).
Upper right Europa, and closer to Jupiter right Io.

25% of 1163 subs
DBK21, ED120 + 3 x barlow

Fay

well thats quite good Carole

Fay
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Carole

Thanks Fay, I guess it is better than the last one I did.

Carole

The Thing

There's not much wrong with that Carole, you'd need a much longer focal length scope to resolve more detail and the colours are very nice.

Carole

Oh thanks Duncan, I replied to your E mail before reading this.

Carole

MarkS

It looks pretty good to me Carole.

The colour is good and it holds up really well against my (almost identical) image taken 2 days later with the C11.  Mine image, although a lot larger, hasn't got much more resolution than yours, to be honest.  I blame the seeing for that!

Mark

Carole

Thanks Mark, this planetary imaging lark is such a different kettle of fish to DS imaging.  I had another go last night with 3 + 2 x barlow, could not believe how dim it all was, really difficult to focus even on craters on the Moon as they were so indistinct.  Just about to transfer the files to my desk top, no idea what has come out.

Carole

Carole

I still wasn't happy with the colour in the previous image, I thought it was too yellow.  I think this is a better colour.

I tried again last night with 3 x barlow + 2 x barlow, (in effect 5 x).

It was really difficult to see the image it was so faint let alone focus, even on the Moon I could hardly see anything to focus on.  I can't say the results are any better than this.

Anyway, this is the new revision:

Carole

This is the result of the 5 x barlow (one 2x and one 3 x).

No better resolution, but it was so faint even on the Moon, it was really hard to see what I was doing including focussing.

Well that's my Jupiter effort for this year.   :cheesy:

Hugh

Hi Carole

First, great pictures! I was then wondering whether a 2x barlow + a 3x barlow rendered an image of 5x or 6x; as if you multiply something by 2 then multiply it by 3, should this be 6.  I googled and found this http://www.telescope.com/Buying-Guides/Accessory-Guides/Benefits-of-Barlows/c/440/sc/443/p/99807.uts.  I noticed that this article indicated that if you put (on certain telescopes) a 2x barlow between the telescope and the diagonal (instead of between the diagonal and the eyepiece), it will actually give a 3x magnification.

Not sure if this is useful but may be a talking point, if not a trick you could use if you only had a 2x barlow with you but wanted a 3x mag?

Best

Hugh

Carole

That might be useful to know Hugh if I wanted to do a 4 x barlow by adding the diagonal to the 3 x barlow.  If in fact that is the case though I am not sure that it is. The 5 x barlow made the target far too dim to be of any practical use.

Carole