• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Version

Started by Mike, May 27, 2002, 20:03:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

Is this new forum using the version 2 of phpBB ??
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Ian

no. that is still w.i.p. Stay tuned :smile:

Rick

As an educational exercise, I set up phpBB2 on my home system using PostgreSQL. There are a few bugs in the install procedure at the moment, at least with the PostgreSQL option. I applied at least one fix manually. The security implications of some of the things, particularly those relating to PostgreSQL, are quite scary, but at the moment there's supposed to be no way in from the Big Bad Net.

[ This Message was edited by: Rick on 2002-06-04 19:37 ]

Ian

let me know how you get on. phpBB2 looks pretty good, but at the moment I'm having fun getting the look right. I am in discussions with Greg, to see if there is anything he can help with (although it is slow going, I haven't been answering his emails, sorry Greg)

Any particular reason you are playing with postgres? To be honest, the only reason I am using mySQL is coz I was playing with a home security system that uses mySQL as a backend, so it was already installed and running.

Rick

There's no particularly strong reason I installed it with postgress rather than mysql. I think one or two of the packages I installed preferred postgress, but at one stage I had them both installed. Mysql got the boot when I was thinning things out, 'cos it had no dependants I wanted to keep.

Havn't actually done anything with the packages that wanted postgress yet though.

What's the access control on mysql like?

Rick

Hmmm... PhpBB 2.0.1 seems to have some significant problems with user registration. My test system won't accept any users, and, judging by the PhpBB support board, it's a common problem...

Ian

thats interesting. I've had no problems with 2.0.0 looks like they have introduced a problem. What sort of problem are you having?

Rick

There's only one registered user, and all attempts to add another fail, but without actually revealing any useful information about why they fail. A little hunting on the PhpBB site reveals this comment about a missing database column. I didn't spot that last night, so maybe I'll have another try tomorrow...

Ian

fairy fluff.

My install isn't an upgrade, so I guess the missing column exists.

Rick

Mine isn't either. Did you get 2.0 or 2.0.1? At least one of the things I've had to patch was postgress-specific, but that missing column seems to affect mysql as well. I can't test to see whether the fix works as my web server's on the other side of a firewall as seen from here, and I've got some NAT issues to resolve before it can be seen from outside.

Rick

The problems seem to relate to the "avatars" options. Turn them all off, and things start to work after a fashion (though I still had to fix the schema for the phpbb_users table). More work needed...

Rick

There's definitely something odd about phpBB2. Those problems I've been having with allowing users to register just vanished. I don't think I did anything in particular to fix them, except maybe turning the avatars off and then back on again. I'm sure there's a bug there that they havn't yet found though.

Rick

...and now my ADSL seems to have fallen over... :sad: