• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

The biggest difference to my images in 2016

Started by MarkS, Jan 04, 2017, 07:04:16

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

If I look back over 2016 and ask myself what is the single thing that has made the biggest difference to my images then I would definitely say Photoshop CC.

Photoshop CC allows me to work in 32bit mode to perform powerful, fully interactive gradient extractions with my linear data (i.e. before stretching) that are impossible with Gradient Exterminator or even with the famous PixInsight DBE.  It also has powerful built in noise reduction (in Filter->Camera Raw Filter) that is powerful and intuitive to use.  These options probably exist in earlier versions of PS but I went straight for the monthly payment option.

If I ask the same question about 2015, then that was definitely the year of the Sony A7S.  The difference made by moving from a Canon 350D to the Sony A7S was similar to moving from a DSLR to a large sensor dedicated astro-camera like the Atik 11000 except that the Sony is so much more versatile and easy to use than a CCD camera.  Definitely much cheaper as well!

Previous to that, I have to go back all the way to 2010 which is when I purchased the Tak Epsilon.  That again was a big leap forward.  But that certainly wasn't cheap.

Mark

Carole

Its great that you have found a way to deal with those gradient problems Mark, does this include the banding problems too, or did you find a different work around? 

Always good to feel you have made a big step forward.

Thinking of my own "steps", I would say the first step forward was modifying my DSLR.  Second step forward was changing to a Mono CCD camera.  Then gradual improving of skills.  Lack of dark skies of course hinders me and when I get to dark skies my time is limited, but always good to feel one is improving.

Carole

MarkS

I dealt with the banding problem by exposing the back of camera histogram well over to the right which needs a very high ISO with my relatively good sky conditions.  It's a quirk of the sensor.

Mark

Roy

I wonder to what extent having a permanent observatory has also helped, as it surely means you can use any clear skies at a moments notice, as well as not having to always repolar align.

Roy

MarkS

Quote from: Roy
I wonder to what extent having a permanent observatory has also helped, as it surely means you can use any clear skies at a moments notice, as well as not having to always repolar align.

Yes, a permanent observatory certainly helps a lot to make the most of clear sky when it's available.  It means there's less inertia than having to go outside and set up a whole load of equipment.

Mark