• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Melotte 15 (Reprocess)

Started by Carole, Oct 09, 2016, 16:41:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

Was feeling quite ashamed of my previous process of this target see previous post, so I had another "go" at it today and I think this is much better. 

Original details are:
Ha 9 x 900 secs
Oiii & Sii each 7 x 450 secs binned
Atik 314L & SW 150P

Original post:
http://forum.orpington-astronomy.org.uk/index.php?topic=10841.0

Carole

Fay

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Carole

Some-one else said that too.

Carole

MarkS

Carole

Thanks Mark. 

Regarding the flattened stars, some-one on another forum suggested - what I feared - that the focusser is projecting into the tube.  Since that is the point of my focus, not a lot I can do about it, I have still to take a look and see if that is the case, and seems the only option is to saw a bit of the focusser.  Hmmm, definitely not a job for me if that's the solution.   

I have a smaller 130PDS on the way as I wanted a bigger FOV, so might sell the 150P on if I get a buyer. 
Also standby for clouds.  :! :!

Carole

Carole

I wasn't happy with the sky background, so here is a revised version:

MarkS

Quote from: Carole
Regarding the flattened stars, some-one on another forum suggested - what I feared - that the focusser is projecting into the tube. 

Of course - I should have thought of that.  It will explain the strong spike in one direction.  A possible solution is to make a crescent shape mask for the front of the tube that will "hide" the intrusion of the focuser into the light path.

Mark

Carole

That sounds like a good idea Mark.  I am hoping to sell the 150P, so not going to worry about it for now.  Just hope the 130PDS does not have the same problem.

Carole

Carole

Well that was handy -
Quoteso might sell the 150P on if I get a buyer
Duncan picked up on this comment and has just collected the scope from me, so didn't even have to advertise it.

Watch out for Duncan larger FOV images.

Carole

JohnP

Very nice Carole - background looks a lot better - John

Carole

Thanks John, I remember you saying this was your favourite part of the sky.

Carole

JohnP

Blimey - you've got a good memory.. Yes I can remember the first time I imaged this & being amazed at all the knots & twirls when I processed it.. John