• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Wide Field Comet Machholz

Started by Anonymous, Jan 12, 2005, 01:41:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Just before going to bed last night I poked my head outside the backdoor & wow! it was clear. So I grabbed the 300D & put it on my Tal-2m mount. Hadn't really got a clue what I was doing but got the attached. Image represents sum of 5 X 45 secs exposures at ISO800 with a 135mm zoom lens. I learnt a lot last night - in particular what a major problem light pollution is where I live - I'm limited to about 20-40 secs at ISO800. I need to spend some pennies on a Light Pollution Filter or limit myself to imaging from dark sites (Well Hill....?) It took quite a while to process images as the raws are a 'horrible' muddy orange colour. Shame no tail can be seen but I'm pleased I imaged it before it gets too dim.

Cheers,  John

Whitters

Mike

I looked at it for the first time last night. It could clearly be seen naked eye from the garden and through the binos, despte the murky sky, it could clearly be seen as a bright fuzz. Surprised just how bright it was in fact! I.m going to try to capture it with the Nikon myself so it will be interesting to compare with John's.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

JohnP

Hi Mike, I look forward to seeing it. If I get a chance I may try imaging it through my scope using the 300D. I've seen some really impressive shots on the Digital Astro Forum. Have you got a Light Pollution filter for the Nikon?

Cheers,  John

JohnP

Take a look at this link for some awe inspiring photo's - Click on the top write link...

http://www.schweifstern.de

Whitters