• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Opportunity to catch comet Macholz and the Pleiades in one f

Started by Rick, Jan 05, 2005, 01:25:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/space/myspace/nightsky/index.shtml shows comet Macholz passing fairly close to the Pleiades around the 7th and 8th. Might be a nice shot if you've got something fairly wide-angle...

[ This Message was edited by: Rick on 2005-01-10 12:56 ]

Rocket Pooch

I took a photo of it a few days ago, its not got mutch of a tail yet :sad:  Suppose I should put the image up here at some time?

JohnP

I'll give it a try with my 300D if we get any clear skies - Will certainly be wide angle.  

John

Rick

Friend at work saw it from a dark site in Europe last week, and reported a naked-eye tail. The pictures shown on Sky at Night also showed a tail. Give it another go if the sky clears...

Rocket Pooch

It is definately bright, could see it with the bino's from my back garden.  No tail though, would have to be very bright for me to see a tail with the flood lights on.

Rick

Saw it last night (well, early this morning) from my garden. Mostly coma, but it's not quite round, which may be a hint of a tail. Sky transparency wasn't wonderful. From somewhere darker I expect a tail would be visible. Maybe careful CCD imaging would reveal it?

Rocket Pooch

Rick

Yes, nice and dark there. Should see it well if you can find a place that's not enclosed by trees.

Rocket Pooch

At the top of the hill it is split into two sides completely without trees and a good field of view, if a little off flat.  The parking is about 3-4 minutes walk from the car park, the car park holds about 10 cars.  I spotted it whilst walking the other week.

Sue

Tonbridge lies in the valley at the bottom of the hill directly to the south. Never been up there at night so don't know how shielded the lights will be, but Hildenbough/Tonbridge pretty large bright suburban area.

Rocket Pooch

I can confirm it has more than one tree :smile:  I'll go havea look soon in the dark and let you know.

Sue

Been up there tonight.(On way from dropping eldest son at party - does have some advantages!) Terriffic view of the comet -8:30pm - high enough to see above trees from car park.Fuzz green blob with no tails through binos.Lovely adjacent to Pleidies.
Didn't go out onto hill as I was alone but some cloud around low down visible  between trees which was reflecting red glow from all directions.

Rocket Pooch

gosh your keen, I don;t think its wise to go up there on your own being a lady!  Anyway I'll get up there soon.

Whitters

Don't quite know how I managed to get this, it was pretty much 8/8 cloud, so apologies for the lack of detail.
Tec. 105mm Tamron lens with MX916 CCD. 30 second exposure.

Whitters

Should say the date and time of the exposure was 2005-01-09 00:12:01.5
The image has had a high pass filter applied.