• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Jupiter and Callisto Shadow Transit with Io 2016-03-17 22:27 UTC Manche, France

Started by The Thing, Mar 19, 2016, 18:00:32

Previous topic - Next topic

The Thing

This was the best image I came up with. It's amazing how far the shadow is offset from the moon compared to two night previous.

I seem to have lost collimation between the previous Jupiter and this one. Scope hasn't been touched so I'll just have to check more frequently regardless. This has not been de-rotated as that seemed to make it worse! Must be a data quality thing. I also changed Autostakkerts Quality Estimator/Noise Robust value to 2 (usually I use 4) and that made a big difference, finding finer detail in the video stream.

Image date, time and location:        2016-03-17 22:27 UTC Manche, France
Telescope aperture and focal ratio:   Meade LX90 8" UHTC, 2x ED Barlow @ 5200mm
Camera and filters used:              QHY5L-II Colour, Baader Neodymnium 2", Pierro Astro ADC
Processing applied:                   FireCapture, PIPP, Autostakkert2!, Registax, not WinJupos

FireCapture details below.

FireCapture v2.4  Settings [edited]
------------------------------------
Camera=QHY5LII
Diameter=44.26"
Magnitude=-2.48
CMI=288.1° CMII=91.5° CMIII=110.6°  (during mid of capture)
FocalLength=5000mm
Resolution=0.15"
Frames captured=3749
File type=SER
Binning=no
ROI=640x480
ROI(Offset)=0x0
FPS (avg.)=31
Shutter=49.50ms
Gain=750
HDR=off
WBlue=124
USBTraffic=11
Contrast=0 (off)
WRed=72
Gamma=100 (off)
WGreen=0
HighSpeed=on
Brightness=0 (off)
SoftwareGain=30 (off)
Histogramm(min)=0
Histogramm(max)=165
Histogramm=64%
Noise(avg.deviation)=n/a
Limit=120 Seconds

Fay

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

MarkS

That is very similar to the position of my image - though mine is accidentally rotated 180 degrees.

For one reason or another that isn't up to the standard we're used to from you.  Maybe the collimation, maybe the seeing, maybe the transparency.  However, Callisto has come out much brighter than mine.

I find it interesting that you manage to get 31 frames/sec at a shutter speed of 49.5ms - is this some time dilation effect?  :D

Mark