• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Jupiter Thur 17 March

Started by MarkS, Mar 17, 2016, 21:26:26

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

Here's my final version - my first time using WinJupos:

It stacks 7000 frames from a total of 9000 over 11 minutes.

Compare to the previous 4000 frame (5.5minutes) version using AS!2:

For the latest version I created 3 frames using AS!2 - each from 3.5 minutes of data.  These were de-rotated and stacked in WinJupos and the result was then deconvolved.

My impression is that there is little difference probably because WinJupos does a lot of resampling of the data during the planetary de-rotation and the rotation to bring the North pole to the top.

Mark

The Thing

Excellent result. The moon shadow and the moon really show the difference, WinJupos appears to have smeared them a bit.

I have heard that Autostakkert does an even better job if the features are horizontal or vertical to start with, which is how I tend to capture Jupiter anyway. Maybe straighten the video before stacking?

I've never used WinJupos for the actual video processing as I've read it's not so good. I de-rotate single stacked and sharpened images, which sometimes makes a big difference and other times not. I've never been able to find out how WinJupos can know how much de-rotation to apply to a single frame. Yes the mid-point time in the file name or entered by you gives a target moment in the planets rotation to de-rotate to but the duration stacked each side of that point is unknown - you are never asked for it and I can't see it in the image tags, so how does it know how much smearing there is? I should try de-rotating unsharpened images as that is actually more logical - de-smear then sharpen.

Carole

Am I right in thinking that Winjupos de-rotates Jupiter somehow in the software?  If so, this would provide more data for processing and therefore more detail will be revealed and less noise instead of smearing it out. 
Also does this mean you can take a lot more data and not worry so much about rotation?

This is my non technical way of thinking of it.

I can certainly see more defined detail in Mark's Winjupos version, to the non WJ version.
Is it free?
Is it easy to use?

Carole

The Thing

Quote from: Carole on Mar 28, 2016, 11:14:31
Am I right in thinking that Winjupos de-rotates Jupiter somehow in the software?  If so, this would provide more data for processing and therefore more detail will be revealed and less noise instead of smearing it out. 
Also does this mean you can take a lot more data and not worry so much about rotation?

This is my non technical way of thinking of it.

I can certainly see more defined detail in Mark's Winjupos version, to the non WJ version.
Is it free?
Is it easy to use?

Carole

Yes, and yes, and Yes if you seek out tutorials on YouTube and elsewhere.

And I have just tested de-rotating unsharpened images and it works a lot better. So much for on-line tutorials!

Carole

I have just downloaded WinJupos and watched a tutorial.  Am I right in saying that it's the already stacked images that you load into Winjupos, not the videos themselves. 

Carole

The Thing

You can do either, but the consensus is AutoStakkert stacks better, so do that first.