• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

The DSLR colour conversion matrix

Started by MarkS, Mar 05, 2016, 08:29:26

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

During the latest batch of cloudy nights I've been doing some very interesting research which indicates that we are all missing an important step in the "traditional" processing of DSLR astro-images.  It's the step that makes colour images look natural to the eye.

Rather than repeat it all here, take a look at this thread I started on Cloudy Nights:
http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/529426-dslr-processing-the-missing-matrix/

Enjoy!

Mark

JohnP

All very interesting stuff Mark - Have you tried doing a 'before & after' reprocess on one of your old sets of data so we can see difference..

I had to laugh at this comment you made btw...
"It's probably something that most of you knew all along - I admit I'm often a bit slow on the uptake, sometimes. But now I've found the "missing matrix" I'm a lot happier.  "

God help the rest of us if you are slow...!!! that's all I can say..

John

MarkS

Quote from: JohnP
All very interesting stuff Mark - Have you tried doing a 'before & after' reprocess on one of your old sets of data so we can see difference..

I made a couple of attempts but the red H-alpha comes out very red and saturated because my camera is modified.  I am currently investigating the best way to solve this.  It may require a different colour transformation matrix.  The Nikon 810a (which is built astromodified) must already have such a matrix.

Mark