• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Part of the Heart nebula (IC1796 to Melotte 15)

Started by RobertM, Jan 21, 2016, 20:46:24

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertM

5hr 40 mins of Ha with a 3nm filter but I really need double the subs for more detail.  Sorry it's mono at the moment as I'm still collecting OIII.  I should have started with OIII and done the Ha with the moon around but you have to take what you can get !

Processed in Pixinsight: Deconvolution, Histogram stretch, Denoise, HDR Multiscale & Curves.

Not sure if I've overcooked this a bit, anyway I hope you like it.

Full res (cropped a bit): https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1613/24443159211_f6078f4a83_o.jpg

Robert

MarkS

That's looking very good to me Robert.

How many layers did you use for your HDR Multiscale?

Mark

RobertM

Thanks Mark.  It was 2 iterations of 10 layers, everything else default.

Fay

Nice Robert, I must have a look at Pixinsight, i presume you can use just bits of it?
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

MarkS

Quote from: RobertM
Thanks Mark.  It was 2 iterations of 10 layers, everything else default.

I need to try it on my recent Orion image to get a bit more contrast - especially in the Trapezium area.  But I want to take the subtle approach.  I have seen some bad examples where people have really overdone it to extract the last bit of detail but leaving a ghastly result.  Some image have a very definite "PI HDRMultiscale" look about them.

RobertM

Quote from: Fay on Jan 21, 2016, 22:16:38
Nice Robert, I must have a look at Pixinsight, i presume you can use just bits of it?

It has lots of 'bits' but I only use a few.  Processing can be quite quick if you find the right modules and use the right settings (which aren't usually the defaults !).  Obviously, as always, it helps if the data is good to start with.

Mark, yes I know exactly what you mean.  Too few or two many iterations produced a terrible result but in themselves those results can be used to demonstrate structure.  For mono (Ha) images I'm finding 8-10 layers x2 works best.

Robert