• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

One hour M78

Started by MarkS, Jan 16, 2016, 11:22:21

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

OK, I lie,  it's 70 minutes to be precise.  140x30sec using modified Sony A7S on Tak Epsilon 180ED.

Bigger version:
http://www.markshelley.co.uk/Astronomy/2016/m78_20150115.jpg

I did this as a quick fill-in between my main 2 targets last night.  I'm pretty pleased with the result but I don't know why the framing went so wrong :(

The eagle eyed amongst you will be able to spot the coloured banding in the top third of the left half.

Mark

Carole

That's great Mark, you have managed to capture those elusive dark nebulae and topped it all with Barnard's Loop.

Lovely image, but does it look as though it needs a slight increase in contrast, not enough to lose the faint nebulous stuff.  Looks slightly washout on my screen.

Looking at it in the evening, it's looking OK contrast wise, so might have been the morning light.

Carole

RobertM

Wow, I wish I could get 'fill-in's like that !!!

On this screen I can't see any artifacts .

You obviously had better skies where you were last night, I kept having clouds float through which messed up most of my subs (hence the extended go at getting SGPro to work).

I can't wait to see what your main targets turn out like.

:idea: could the banding be managed by extended (as in half image) dithering somewhat akin to heavily overlapped mosaics ?

Robert

The Thing

That is really interesting photographic type framing Mark, a really pleasing composition and like Robert, I wish I could get images like that so rapidly, even if there are supposed warts. You must have Supermans eyes ;) If I had warts like that I'd be a male model or something.

Fay

Ditto, a fill in!!!!!!! I cant wait to see the others either!! great image Mark!!

I think I  will get one of those dodgy cameras!!

Fay
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

JohnP

QuoteI think I  will get one of those dodgy cameras!!

FAY I knew it was only a matter of time... how you gonna pass that by John. You can get an awful lot of fishing rods for an A7S.

Fay

No I am not getting one, John, Mark knows how to handle it best, I would not stand a chance!

I am going to get a modded DSLR though. dont know whether to buy one already done, or buy a new normal photography one, 
perhaps 70D or 7D mk II, and have my 600D modded.

MarkS

Don't mod a 600D.  Get a 7D MkII - it's far superior and is easily the best sensor Canon currently has.

Mark

Fay

I dont think anyone mods a 7D mk II

MarkS

Quote from: Fay
I dont think anyone mods a 7D mk II

It's probably worth asking - you may find they will do it even it is not currently listed on web pages.

Mark

JohnP

Mark ONE hour...! Gobsmacked... Can't really say anything else.... John

MarkS

Quote from: JohnP
Mark ONE hour...! Gobsmacked... Can't really say anything else.... John

It's not bad for an hour, is it  8)

But I was cheating by:
1) Having reasonably dark sky
2) Using a Tak Epsilon scope
3) Using a Sony A7S which for all its faults has the best QE (Quantum Efficiency) of any consumer camera

Mark

Fay

Yes its your fault Mark!!!!!!!

DavidS

Wow... great image AND ONLY 70Min Exp!  :! must not let my wallet know how good the image is... or it will start ordering one!

Carole

If I wasn't so in love with narrowband and mono imaging now, I'd be tempted, but of course I don't have the skies or a bananascope.

What capture software are you using Mark?  That would probably be a deal breaker anyway. 

Carole