• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Observing evening weather

Started by Ivor, Jan 11, 2016, 14:00:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Ivor

Trying to decide whether ask for the gate to be left open for tomorrow, I'm seeing rain and clear on the forecasts with only medium confidence, what are others seeing?

Carole

Ivor

RobertM

Strange this one, my forecast was showing clear but that was before someone mentioned an observing evening :(

I should have realised the chance of getting a clear observing evening is somewhat akin to finding rocking horse do-do !

I think I'm going to have to take up knitting :(

Robert

JohnP

QuoteI think I'm going to have to take up knitting

Can I have your astronomy kit....... 'pretty please'...

doug

I remember the days when we used to turn up, irrespective of the weather, just in case it cleared, for a chat and sometimes discussion about astronomy and other things. This seems to have gone by the board now and the observing evenings are a thing of the past. What a shame.....

Perhaps one days they will return and we can celebrate an observing evening again..... 

Doug.
Always look on the bright side of life ...

RobertM

Quote from: JohnP on Jan 13, 2016, 18:40:27
QuoteI think I'm going to have to take up knitting

Can I have your astronomy kit....... 'pretty please'...

I'll consider your request .... if I take up knitting  ;)

Doug - I'm not aware that observing evenings have stopped ?

Robert

MarkS

Clear tonight but too windy here for imaging :(

Mark

RobertM

Windy but imaging would be possible if I wasn't right in the edge of this belt of cloud.

MarkS

I've also been left pretty disillusioned by my struggle with the Sony A7S - a  struggle resulting in defeat.  It may take me some while to get my imaging mojo back :(

It's so ironic that I could take a 50 hours of a data with my old Canon 350D but can't take more than 2 hours of data with the Sony (using the same scope and same sky conditions) without sensor artefacts dominating the image.

Mark

Ivor

Quote from: doug on Jan 14, 2016, 09:32:51
I remember the days when we used to turn up, irrespective of the weather, just in case it cleared, for a chat and sometimes discussion about astronomy and other things. This seems to have gone by the board now and the observing evenings are a thing of the past. What a shame.....

Perhaps one days they will return and we can celebrate an observing evening again..... 

Doug.

I'm bit confused here Doug, we had a successful observing evening only last month. I'm sorry to hear the social evenings haven't been so well attended, personally I find it hard to guarantee my attendance regularly to social evenings with working in London and my young family especially this year with GCSEs, A levels and ongoing University search.

If there is anyone else with more free time who fancies doing the observing officer's role it's there for the taking in February.

Quote from: RobertM on Jan 14, 2016, 23:57:20
Windy but imaging would be possible if I wasn't right in the edge of this belt of cloud.

I managed to escape the band of cloud and managed to capture some more of IC410, I plan to capture OIII tonight and the have a go at M31 as it's one I've never captured properly before.

Quote from: MarkS on Jan 15, 2016, 06:51:57
I've also been left pretty disillusioned by my struggle with the Sony A7S - a  struggle resulting in defeat.  It may take me some while to get my imaging mojo back :(

It's so ironic that I could take a 50 hours of a data with my old Canon 350D but can't take more than 2 hours of data with the Sony (using the same scope and same sky conditions) without sensor artefacts dominating the image.

Mark

You have rather blazed the way with the Sony A7S, so where frustrating, problems were likely and I think most people will agree what you've produced to date with the camera hasn't been too shabby. That's the problem with high standards come back down to mortals' standards and you'll be fine :)

JohnP

QuoteI've also been left pretty disillusioned by my struggle with the Sony A7S - a  struggle resulting in defeat.  It may take me some while to get my imaging mojo back :(

Mark - your images with A7S have been stunning - 2hrs of data from that camera is amazing - I guess you are pushing the limits of what the camera was designed for & if artifacts are down to things like lithographic patterning of the CCD itself there is not a lot you can do other than contacting the chip manufacturer & telling them to change their manufacturing/ patterning process ;-) Definitely feel your frustration though - I lost my mojo about 2 years ago & the abundance of 500W automatic search lights around my garden & LED street lights isn't helping me get back on track... Keep on taking the 2 hour images - they are fantastic & really enjoy viewing them..

John

MarkS

Quote from: JohnP
QuoteI've also been left pretty disillusioned by my struggle with the Sony A7S - a  struggle resulting in defeat.  It may take me some while to get my imaging mojo back :(

Mark - your images with A7S have been stunning - 2hrs of data from that camera is amazing - I guess you are pushing the limits of what the camera was designed for & if artifacts are down to things like lithographic patterning of the CCD itself there is not a lot you can do other than contacting the chip manufacturer & telling them to change their manufacturing/ patterning process ;-) Definitely feel your frustration though - I lost my mojo about 2 years ago & the abundance of 500W automatic search lights around my garden & LED street lights isn't helping me get back on track... Keep on taking the 2 hour images - they are fantastic & really enjoy viewing them..

John

Thanks John.  I forced myself back out there again tonight and already I'm glad I did.  I can take a couple of 2 hour images.

Mark

Fay

Doug, I think the problem is, regarding observing evenings, everyone has moved away. its very sad. a lot of regulars used to turn up for a  chat.

I think Ivor, does his best, and this has nothing to do with him, just most of the old group has now gone

Oh Mark, I understand how you feel. you will find a way of filling the void the Sony has left.

I forced myself out last night, on the patio as garden too muddy. it was quite windy, so fruitless. again I was out there tonight, but problems with PHD, dont know what is going on there, i reckon it is the hub!!!

Fay
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

MarkS

Fay,

Replace your hub!  Life is too short.

Mark