• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Pelican Nebulae IC 5070; LBN 350 12 and 22 July 2015, Manche, France

Started by The Thing, Jul 24, 2015, 11:03:46

Previous topic - Next topic

The Thing

Image date, time and location:   2015-07-12 & 22 00:00-02:00
Telescope aperture and focal ratio:   Meade LX90 8" UHTC, Baader Alan Gee II Telecompressor, HEQ5 belt modded & new bearings
Camera and filters used:           1000D Modded, IDAS LPS-D1 clip filter
Processing applied:                   DeepSkyStacker, StarTools, CS2

Only 2 hours of data (300s @ISO800). I'm using the LPS-D1 filter as the local street lights (only 5 of them but bright) are on until 01:00 and night is currently 00:00-02:00ish. What would be handy is a filter wheel so as soon as the lights go out I can take out the filter.

Carole

That's great Duncan. 
Just needs a bit of a colour balance as the red is out of line with the Blue and green, otherwise really nice.

The filterwheel sounds like a good idea.

Carole

Fay

well done Duncan, nice to know you and Carole have started the season off early, will spur us on!

Fay
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

RobertM

Nice one Duncan, as you say it needs a bit more exposure but the filter seems to be working well.

BTW, what's that faint bar down the right hand edge ?

Robert

The Thing

Aha. the faint bar. It's actually more like a picture frame when the image is stretched. I'm redoing the stack in IRIS to see if that gets rid of it. I did wonder if it was a DSLR artifact e.g. mirror box shadow as I have seen it before and my setup hasn't changed.

Kenny

MarkS

A nice job there Duncan.  The IDAS D1 is a very good filter.  I do wonder if it actually helps you given your fairly dark sky.  Are the street lights that bad - can you quantify the difference they make in background sky levels?

Surely 2am is roughly the middle of the night in French time so your imaging could be from 1:00-3:00am or 12:30-3:30am?

Mark

The Thing

Quote from: MarkS on Jul 25, 2015, 17:21:09
A nice job there Duncan.  The IDAS D1 is a very good filter.  I do wonder if it actually helps you given your fairly dark sky.  Are the street lights that bad - can you quantify the difference they make in background sky levels?

Surely 2am is roughly the middle of the night in French time so your imaging could be from 1:00-3:00am or 12:30-3:30am?

Mark

The filter does make a difference but not a great deal, it depends on the transaprency near ground level. I will try leaving it off next time.

Astronomical Darkness is tonight 00:38-03:51 CEST. Makes for a long night. The last couple of nights it's clouded over at 02:00ish... We are just going out for al fresco moules frites and a grand barbecue with music and fireworks up at Gouville-sur-Mer (20 min walk) and I'll see what the clouds are doing when we get back - it's looking hopeful.