• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

M57 HaRGB

Started by Carole, Jul 22, 2015, 22:48:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

This one is not going to win any prizes, but I was curious to see whether I could get the outer skirt.
The object was extremely small in the FOV, so much so I wasn't even sure I had found it initially as it just looked like a star.  As you can imagine this is a CROP.
Must try this out with a larger scope and the 314 at a dark site.

HaRGB
Ha 6 x 900secs ED80/ Atik460
RGB WOZS71/ Atik314
Red 9 x 300secs
Green 7 x 300secs
Blue 6 x 300secs
SE London

Carole

Think this is better, but need some more data:

Fay

a few years ago we never knew it had a skirt!!!!!!!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Carole

Yes, so many advances in our knowledge and capabilities, also thanks to improved imaging kit.
these CCD cameras are amazing, if you saw how small this is in the FOV that it can still bring out such detail.

carole

RobertM

Quote from: Fay on Jul 24, 2015, 20:01:48
a few years ago we never knew it had a skirt!!!!!!!

Skirts are all the rage now Fay, especially with frilly bits.

Carole, there are some funny colours around those stars and a bit of elongation top left to bottom right (could be tracking).  The second version seems to have lost the outer frill, perhaps because the black level is up a bit, but it's a very good try with that kit.

Robert

Carole

Thanks Robert, I didn't even realise I had caught the outer frill on the first one must take a look at that again.

Yes there is a bit of flexure between the two scopes in my dual rig ATM which I am trying to sort out, which means that in the Ha the stars are round but in the Oiii/Sii and RGB currently the stars are a bit elongated, so difficult to match up the stars.

I have been trying to use a side by side bar with the 2nd imaging scope in guide rings so I can adjust for a matching FOV as just sticking them straight into the Vixen brackets on the side by side bar they certainly aren't looking at the same thing.  It's pretty awkward to adjust like this and I think it's giving a degree of flexure, so have just today purchased a Skywatcher Guidescope mount which should clamp it much more firmly and be easier to adjust, plus I am hoping to be able to mount piggy back. 

This is magnified loads of times as it's a really big crop.  This is about 1/9 of full frame so any slight discrepancies are also going to be magnified. 

I just wanted to see really what was possible, so now I'd like to try it in a dark site and do many more subs and perhaps even longer ones. 

Carole

Carole

Now combined with my RGB/DSLR image from 2011

So HaRGB/RGB

Kenny

Wow. I really like the third one. Much better. Well done Carole.

The Thing

Thats turned out really well Carole. Good luck tweaking the dual rig.

MarkS

To be honest, I'm surprised you managed to get that skirt - well done for trying!

I would say it's clearer in the first image but maybe that's my screen.

Mark

Carole

Thanks Kenny, Duncan and Mark.

QuoteGood luck tweaking the dual rig.
Yes, it's a real pain to set up initially. 

Carole