• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Pickering's Triangle narrowband

Started by Carole, Jul 20, 2015, 23:58:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

Only my 2nd DS image since February. 
Starting to lose heart over my LP location as I can only manage the brightest objects even with narrowband.

Taken with my dual rig, the FOV does not match, but it's the best I can get with the kit I have at present, with plans to try to get it closer in the future.

So this is the Mono (larger FOV version)
12 x 900secs (3 hours)
ED80 and Atik460 Baader Ha filter at the moment just stuck on the end of the nosepiece.

Followed by the Narrowband combination SHO (smaller FOV)
Oiii 6 x 900secs (2 hours)
Sii 7 x 900secs (2 1/4 hours)
WO ZS71 and Atik314L + focal reducer x 0.8

Fay

well that looks good Carole. lots of fine filaments, cant believe someone has done something! so frustrating that we all have site problems of one thing or another.

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

ApophisAstros

Quote from: Fay on Jul 21, 2015, 07:43:03
well that looks good Carole. lots of fine filaments, cant believe someone has done something! so frustrating that we all have site problems of one thing or another.
My eyes are better since i got glasses.lol:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

Carole

Thanks Fay.  I think I could do with at least one more night's worth of data to try to reduce the noise.  Also I only got about 2 darks for each camera. 

I have just got myself a filterwheel for the 2nd camera, so if I get myself a 2nd Oiii filter I could trying swapping cameras for the data so I can increase the FOV, it will be a little uneven as some areas will get more data than others but would be interesting to see if that would work.  I haven't put the 2nd filterwheel on yet as didn't want to disturb the set up, but I will do as soon as I have finished this target. 

Carole

Fay

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Ivor

Well done Carole, you've brought out some lovely detail, the filements have really come out. When you add the extra data (tonight looks promising :) ) you might want to revisit the stars, close up they don't look completely aligned and have a pinkish effort.

Having seen the impact Robert's monitor had on my images at the imaging session I've taken the plunge and bought a better monitor. You seem to have problems with the star colours from time to time (did you get the chance to calibrate your monitor?) when you get the change it would be worth checking out what  difference a good monitor can make; I was instantly sold on the idea.

I'm glad we have another image for my presentation we were low on numbers this month!

Carole

Thanks Ivor, don't get me started on stars they are the bane of my imaging life.  The main problem is the stars in the different filters come out different sizes, and try as I may, I am finding this a really difficult issue to deal with.  I use Registar to Register the images so they should be aligned. 

Going to do some googling as I seem to recall a Starizona link on using the stars from another different filter to add to one of the filters, need to refresh my memory of it. 

Carole

Ivor

Did you stack and colour balance them in AA? I've always found it adjusts the stars quite well.

Carole

Only use AA for stacking, no idea how to do anything else. 

Carole

Ivor

If you bring the stacked channel files along on Thursday or email them to me beforehand I can walk you through the process at the member's meeting.

Carole

What about a Teamviewer session?  I think it might be difficult to concentrate at the meeting.

Carole

Carole

By the way, point of note:

These images are the first I have done since they changed my street lights to LED

Carole

MarkS

That's looking good - some beautiful colouring there!

Is it the Hubble palette?

Mark

Carole

Thanks Mark.

QuoteIs it the Hubble palette?

It is Mark, but I am not a fan of yellow and blue which most people tend to do so I am trying for different variations.

Thanks

Carole