• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Vista to Windows 7 upgrade advice

Started by Kenny, Jun 28, 2015, 19:13:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny

My 7 year old Dell desktop PC is having Windows Update issues (which MS have tried and failed to solve). I'm in the process of migrating evereyone onto laptops but I still fancy keeping the desktop PC as a storage/backup server if I can do it without spending much cash. One option I was considering was upgrading the machine to Windows 7 (freely or cheaply) which also then opens the door for upgrade to Windows 10 later this year (which I will migrate all my laptops to as well).

Any suggestions as to how to get my hands on a cheap but legal copy of Windows 7 that's not bloated with malware? Seems most retailers only sell OEM versions and I could buy a new copy of Windows 8.1 for around the same price - I would rather not spend crica £100 cash on those options.

The Thing

Did this about a month ago along with an upgrade to 64bit, 8GB Ram and an 2TB SSHDD (£90 on ebay). I got a MAR (all explained on the site) version of Win7 Home Premium 64 bit from these guys at www.softwarebilliger.de for 39 Euros delivered by Fed Express. Straightforward install on my 2007 Advent, solved the update issues and it runs better than new, no software issues either.

Menge   Art.-Nr.   Bezeichnung   Preis   Gesamt
1   50706030001564   Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - MAR Refurbished - Englisch

34,90 EUR   34,90 EUR
Warenwert   34,90 EUR
Versandkosten   4,90 EUR
Gesamtpreis inkl. MwSt.   39,80 EUR

RobertM

Might have a Dell Vostro 1500 laptop going with Windows 7 Pro.  4GB Core 2 duo, Seagate Momentus drive.  I was going to sell it on eBay but let me know if you're interested and I'll check the exact spec.

Robert

Kenny

Roger has given me an option. Will trial that next weekend.

Duncan. Thanks for the link. Useful to know. May go down that path, it's certainly cheaper than the options I've been researching so far.

Robert - go ahead with eBay. I'm not looking to buy another laptop, only to upgrade my desktop.

Mac

PC World still sell Windows 7 Professional, but you need to go to the business section for it. They normally have the 32 & 64 Bit software rolled into one and you just install the version you want.

Mac.

Kenny

Yeah but I don't want to invest Retail price in this old and knackered desktop pc.

Mac

True, but you will own a full version of windows 7.
So when you purchase a nice new shiny pc with windows 8 and find that weirdos 8 is complete tosh, you can reinstall windows 7.

So its a win win.

Mac.

ApophisAstros

Quote from: Mac on Jul 01, 2015, 13:38:48
True, but you will own a full version of windows 7.
So when you purchase a nice new shiny pc with windows 8 and find that weirdos 8 is complete tosh, you can reinstall windows 7.

So its a win win.

Mac.

I've had Windows 8 for 3 years, and think its the best version of Windows so far, from someone who has owned every version
from ms-dos! Although i have no interest in touch screen aspect. Stability wise and compatibility are spot on,also boots up in 64bit
in 35 seconds.

Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

Simon E

I would now say Windows 10 is even better, XP + Windows 8 all rolled into one. Works well on my touchscreen laptop and had no problems whatsoever.

si
SW 130DPS reflector main imaging scope, SWST80 refractor Guide scope, HEQ5 Mount with syncscan
ZWO ASI 120MC 1/3" colour camera Guide camera, Nikon D5100 + D3100 Imaging cameras

JohnP

Well I actually purchased & downloaded this today.... I just replaced old HD drive in my laptop with SSD & took opportunity to upload a new OS as well.

https://softwaregeeks.co.uk/product/windows-7-professional-product-key-label-coa/

Great instructions on how to download it all & burn ISO file to DVD - Installation was dead easy & registered straight away online with microsoft. Whole process took about an hour.

I'm happy - win7, 64 bit pro for £19.

John

Simon E

Can't knock that for price ;) I got win 10 free with my new laptop/tablet.

si
SW 130DPS reflector main imaging scope, SWST80 refractor Guide scope, HEQ5 Mount with syncscan
ZWO ASI 120MC 1/3" colour camera Guide camera, Nikon D5100 + D3100 Imaging cameras

JohnP

Just as a follow on from the Win7 Pro 64 bit I downloaded two days ago for £19 - I just got a notification from Microsoft offering me full Win10 upgrade for free :-) Nice - John