• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Waning Gibbous Moon

Started by RachelC, May 06, 2015, 00:51:51

Previous topic - Next topic

RachelC

There was a short gap in the clouds and I was able to take a quick snap of the Moon! I modified the photo a bit as I was trying to show that I caught craters on the side!  :P

Kenny

Lovely bright Moon Rachel. Well done.

Carole

Well done Rachel, nice craters on the edge.  Did you take more than one shot, if so you could stack them?

Carole

RachelC

Thanks Kenny and Carole.

Carole - yes I did take a few shots but not many but not on a tripod but all at the same setting. I didn't realise I could stack images of the Moon.

I know it sounds a bit daft but how do I do that? I thought the software I use is really more for stars.

Any advice gratefully received :-)

The Thing

Download Registax or AutoStakkert. There is plenty of on-line help but essentially you open the frames, select alignment points (automated - push the appropriate button) and stack. If you use Autostakkert, sharpen the result in Registax using wavelets (just open the single file and Registax will go to the Wavelet tab).

Hope that helps Rachel.

Kenny

I don't think you can 'open' image files in AutoStakkert2 but you can drag files onto the app when it's open which achieves the same result.

RachelC

Thank you Kenny and Duncan

Is there an emoji for "what you both said going straight over my head!!"

I will download the software and check back in when (not if) I get stuck.  :D

Kenny

Kenny

Quote from: The Thing on May 06, 2015, 15:25:17
Download Registax or AutoStakkert. There is plenty of on-line help but essentially you open the frames, select alignment points (automated - push the appropriate button) and stack. If you use Autostakkert, sharpen the result in Registax using wavelets (just open the single file and Registax will go to the Wavelet tab).

Like this.

RachelC

Thanks Kenny...I had a look at your pre and post pics. Very impressive. It looks like it is going to be a cloudy rainy weekend so will have a go.  :)

RobertM

Very nice Rachel, you're making good progress.

It's nice and sharp however it's a bit less sharp towards the top and bottom rims which is a bit puzzling.

Good result though :)

Robert