• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

DSC May 15 - 17 (or longer if you wish)

Started by Carole, Apr 30, 2015, 21:50:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

Good point. Do we need to book Carole?

We are hoping to get down there by around 5pm.

Mike
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

ApophisAstros

carole is keeping him updated from here...just rung cairds.

rog
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Carole

No we don't need to book, he knows how many may come - and that it is weather dependent.

Just turn up, tell him you're with the astro group. 

Owners are Pete and Sue and there is a Welshman who lives there in a caravan, with his wife (I think his son is the partner of Pete's daughter) and seems to have taken up permanent residence, he works on the site but I've forgotten his name. 

Both Pete and Welshman are very helpful.   

Gonna put a photo of the site on the next post with suggested pitch positions so as to make best use out of the hook up outlets.

I'm just checking the price per night.  I seem to recall having paid something like £11.50/£12 per night before including hook up.

Pete's phone number if you get lost:

Carole

Carole

OK looking at the map:

This aerial shot was taken before the POD was built but I have labelled it's position.

There is one hook up on the "East" side of the field in the middle (with 4 outlets), and one in the middle on the "west" (road side) also in the middle with 4 outlets. 
(NSEW are roughly in these positions)

There is also apparently an extra point beside the POD.

If any-one has a splitter please bring it, and any outdoor extension cables.   (I have a splitter).  I think Pete may have a splitter/extension cables too. 

The fence boundary on the East side is currently being moved further East, not sure whether that is ready to use yet. 

I suggest that the kit goes along the East side possibly with the tents and cars behind them rather than beside them to prevent having to spread too far apart with the kit - (cable lengths) and the campervans themselves go along the west side using the west hook ups. 

Obviously we don't know how many public will be there and whether they have already pitches where we want to go, so might have to play some of this by ear. 

I'll let Pete Know the latest figures and how we are planning to pitch and see if he can persuade any public to go on the South and West sides away from where we need to go.

Carole

Carole

Price is:

Tents £10 per night Motorcaravan £12 per night. This will include electric and shower facilities.
POD obviously more expensive but Fay has this booked and knows the price.

Carole

ApophisAstros

wonder what effect this rain has had on ground conditions?

rog
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

Mike

My guess it's made it slightly damp.

Mike

Nice and sunny right now. Forecast looks reasonable. Probably more suited to observing than imaging.

Tonight is showing a couple of hours of clearish sky just before midnight.
Saturday - Clear all night.

I take it everyone is still going?

Mike

Fay

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

julian

Already packed, but I'm at work😭
But have gone to work in the tin tent😀

Carole

3/4 packed, will be on the way within next couple of hours.

Carole

Mike

Haven't even started yet as I had a report to type up.

Will be starting in about 2 hours then i'll be on my way. Aim to be there by 5pm.

ApophisAstros

Arrived just after Kay, ground nice and firm fairly mild and no wind...me neither...lol😁😁😁😁

Mike

Leaving now. ETA 5.10pm