• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Kelling Report

Started by Carole, Apr 22, 2015, 20:03:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

I am now finally back (after 9 days at Kelling Heath).  It was a shame for those who came for only Friday and Saturday nights as we only got about 1/2 hour clear skies.  But a good time was had socially.  Those who stayed over to Monday had a clear sky on Sunday night.

Weather:
Having gone early (Tuesday) and came home Wednesday a week later (today), I got Tuesday, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday clear nights, albeit very very damp and some fog on the Sunday and it was extremely dewy at night. 
Some of the days were sunny and some were cold, but no rain during the day and very little at night, and hardly any wind at all.

Good and not so good pitches:
I have started to make a list of what pitches are worth having which ones to avoid.  Though I haven't done the bottom half of the Red field yet.

Those who went may have noticed there is a new camping area off the yellow field, called the dragonfly area, and I have listed the better pitches of this as well. 

History of the star party:
While I was wandering around the Red field this morning, making note of a few pitches to avoid due to trees, I got talking to the person who started the whole Kelling Heath star party off.  His name is Andrew (forget his surname), who was originally a member of Loughton AS who used to hold their star parties in the Thetford forest, and it was he who did all the initial negotiations with Kelling Heath.  He then moved to Norwich, and Loughton continued with the Autumn Star party, and Andrew then asked Norwich AS if they would like to do a spring one, and so the Spring Star party was born.

New Star Party:
Birmingham AS are planning for a new star party in November, but have been unable to book as yet, as the prices are still being finalised. 
http://www.winterfestastro.co.uk/

Carole