• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Solar Mosaics (some blending issues)

Started by Kenny, Mar 01, 2015, 18:33:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny

My first attempt at mosaics. Solar mosaic below.

Videos captured with Coronado Solarmax 60 solar scope on the HEQ5 mount with Celestron Neximage Solar System Imaging CCD camera using SharpCap2 (colour disabled). Stacked and autosharpened in Autostakkert2. Photomerged, autoblended and recoloured in Adobe Photoshop CS2.

This version of Photoshop has automatically aligned and merged the images fairly well but struggled to make autoblend work across the images so has left behind patches of varying brightness. Need to figure out how to correct that - any bright ideas? (no pun intended)

12 pane mosaic of the Sun (with x2 Barlow). 12 x 30 second AVIs.

MarkS

I can see a lot of work has gone into that!  Well done.

It's an excellent attempt but I don't really know how to attempt equalisation and blending.

Mark

Carole

Wow Kenny massive leap forwards.

I must admit I don't normally use automated mosaicing, I tend to do it manually and adjust the layers as I go along.  But that is very tedious. 

I have managed to adjust some of the worst discrepancies by selecting and adjusting each area individually in order to improve this particular image, it still has some patches that need attending to, but in the normal course of events it's not really the answer.

Carole

Kenny

Wow. Thanks very much Carole for putting time into that. I had the option of autoblending the photomerged image, where it stiches together the best of each image at almost random angles, or saving as aligned layers and manually blending. I spent ages yesterday working on the latter but there is a gradient across each image/layer so it seemed impossible to blend each layer manually. Will discuss offline with you how you did this.

The Thing

I like Imerge for this sort of thing. Canon do a photostitch tool, as do Microsoft. MS ICE looks a bit snazzy, must try it!

Kenny

Quote from: The Thing on Mar 02, 2015, 13:35:54
I like Imerge for this sort of thing. Canon do a photostitch tool, as do Microsoft. MS ICE looks a bit snazzy, must try it!

Microsoft ICE wasn't able to cope with this at all. It couldn't even stitch the photos together.

Kenny

p.s. ICE may work better on the Moon where the features are bigger. I plan to try a Moon mosaic.

The Thing

I've used Imerge on the Moon several times, it does a good job. I would like to think that the solar 'surface' would be a similar task.

Kenny

Quote from: The Thing on Mar 02, 2015, 14:00:44
I've used Imerge on the Moon several times, it does a good job. I would like to think that the solar 'surface' would be a similar task.

Duncan - I definitely owe you a flaggon of beer! Image restitched/blended in i-Merge then recoloured in Photoshop CS2. Here are the results.

MarkS

Excellent!
That is so much better.

You should be well proud of that image.

Kenny

Quote from: MarkS on Mar 02, 2015, 21:56:28
Excellent!
That is so much better.

You should be well proud of that image.

I'm still in shock. I'll be proud once that wears off.  :lol:

Carole

The Thing