• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

DSC 2015

Started by Carole, Feb 04, 2015, 19:07:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

This is my summary of the campsites we have available.

Looking at the pros and cons I think Running Water offers the best facilities for us but it is the furthest to go.
Cairds is a nice camp, but I am concerned about the planes and I think we should be wary of going there when it is damp/wet.  The owner has offered the option to put the cars in the car park (will take 6) and pitch on the field if it's damp. 

Can you each state your order of preference.

Also is any-one prepared to book in advance for Rother Valley or Cairds risking losing their money if the weather does not play ball?

Links to some of the sites (for those who haven't been there):
Running Water (There are two fields, we would be in the one with the Green toilet block)
https://www.pitchup.com/campsites/England/South_East/Kent/New_Romney/running-waters-holiday-park/

Cairds:
http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/details.asp?revid=10001

Rother Valley
http://www.rother-valley.com/

Blacklands (N.B. Not the field with the lake, there is no hook up in there).
http://www.blacklandsfarm.co.uk/

Carole

Kenny

As I said earlier, I don't know any of those sites other than Northiam so not sure how much my opinion counts on this one, but the order you've put them in your notes seems like a good priority sequence.

The Thing

Is the same guy still running Running Waters? I thought he had sold up and had a new site at St Marys Bay. It is a good spot.

Carole

Yes Duncan, he backed out of the deal.

So available to us again.

Carole

MarkH

Quote from: Carole on Feb 05, 2015, 10:15:36
QuoteCarole, I know all of these sites
MarkH, have you actually used these sites or just know them?

Carole

I have stayed at blacklands and know the others, (travelled extensively in the south east)

ApophisAstros

Quote from: Delphine on Feb 05, 2015, 08:09:36
I am keen to come to DSC's this year.  I have only been to Northiam and Blacklands and prefer Northiam - but I am not an imager so can't really comment.

Delphine

us observers should stick together delphine....lol

roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

RobertM

One problem with Rother is that it can suffer from mist/fog due to proximity with the water.

Personally I think somewhere closer in the winter months, Cairds looks a good option from that perspective.

Robert

Carole

QuotePersonally I think somewhere closer in the winter months, Cairds looks a good option from that perspective.

I know that Fay wants to try Cairds out, I personally like the camp, and I think Ivor wants to try it out, but I am just a bit concerned about the ground when it is wet.  If there are not too many of us the owner has said we can leave the cars in the car park and pitch our tents and kit on the field.  But the car park will only take 6 cars/vans.

I went there in the Autumn and whilst it wasn't boggy -  because there is a slight slope to the field you need to park your vehicle so when you drive out you can drive downhill initially, rather than starting uphill.  I forgot to do this and got into a skid on the wet grass.  They pulled me back up with a tractor.  I am just thinking it will be worse in the wetter weather.

If we have a small party who are willing to park in the car park if necessary then we could try it out in the winter.

Carole

Mac

QuoteTuesnoad.....do what you want, when you want.
QuoteNo hook up though and poor toilet/washing facilities.

Carole

I thought it was camping and not Glamping.  ;)

Im always interested mainly in the west sussex ones as the others are just too far away. 121 miles for running and 102 for Rother.
Blacklands is ideal as thats only 34 miles for me.

Now that James is interested in camping.

The only other hit and miss deal is our British weather, are we the only country that have a rainy season 24/7 365?.

If the weekend is guaranteed to be dry and sunny, then assuming im not working i'd probably make the effort to go to some of the further ones.

Mac.

Mike

Maybe we should rotate the locations to cater for all members?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Carole

QuoteMaybe we should rotate the locations to cater for all members?
That's probably a good idea Mike I'll give it some thought.   It will be sod's law though that the one we organise in West Sussex will be a weekend when Mac isn't available  :cheesy:

QuoteI thought it was camping and not Glamping. 
Mac, there are some people who don't like camping, and we need to sometimes cater for them as well.  Trouble is at the moment, there is only one site which has a glamping POD and it's a single room, so unless male and female don't mind bunking up together (I think the settee converts into a bed) (would halve the cost).  Cairds is planning on a 2nd POD, but has spent quite a bit of money this year not only with the first POD but also extra shower and toilet cabin.

I think rotation is a good idea, also that way we get to try out the different camps.

We do know that Running Water is most likely available if the camp of choice isn't.

Nevertheless, it is still good to get opinions. 
for instance: I am OK with going to Rother Valley despite it's drawbacks, I just didn't want to go there every time.

Carole

Mac

The Glamping was tongue in cheek but i do understand that there are people who just don't do camping, ( I know i'm married to one!)

The problem is that the campsites that do do pods, ect are going to probably be fully booked, although if i remember Fay used to glamp in the hotels & B&B's
near to Tuesonad. Also if you do go down the rotation of sites, do they all have pods, ect?

There is no reason to specifically organize the west sussex one, as i cant really tell if im available untill the week of the camp.
So all im going to do with regards to this year is to watch the weather and see if im working, if im free and the weather is fine , i'll turn up.

Mac.

MarkS

Thanks to Carole for taking this on.

It's interesting that Running Waters (it has a final "s" in the name) is now back as a possibility.  It quickly became my favourite because it is dark, quiet (except for one occasion where the noisy group were thrown off) and would appear to have good year round accessibility.  Rother Valley became impractical because of the need to make firm bookings during high season and then accessibility ruled it out in low season.

Blacklands is not the best (too much glow towards the South) but I'm happy to go there from time to time if it means a wider group of us will go along.

I'm also happy to try out others - for instance, I haven't been to Cairds yet.

There is still the possibility that some folk from AAS will come along - I'm giving a talk on astrophotography at the end of this month.

Mark

Sue

Roy and I would like to try and get to a couple of DSCs this year, but booked for Kelling April and September which I think clash with society dates.Also will not be able to do Feb, May, June and August, again clashes with other stuff!
We are happy to go with the flow as such irregular attendees but for the record liked Northiam more than Blacklands.

Carole

It seems from the responses then that Running Waters is the first choice, with Cairds as an alternative, Rother Valley if it's not too wet and available, Blacklands as a last choice but we should consider this maybe once a year for those who live in West Sussex.

I also am booked for Kelling in April and September and might go to the IOW in October.  I shall be on holiday during the March DSC. Nevertheless I will still try to oversee arrangements.

Carole