• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

DSC 2015

Started by Carole, Feb 04, 2015, 19:07:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

I have been asked to co-ordinate DSCs once Mike steps down until a new Observing Officer is appointed.
After discussion with Mike and Miriam, I am going to start from now.

Mike brought up the point about a number of people moving away from London, so not so many people needing to go to DSC.  So in the first instance I'd like to find out how many people are still interested in going.

I'd also be interested in feedback on the following camps, mainly from those who have used these camps, although I am the only one who has actually used Cairds at this moment in time:

Running Water (New Romney)
Cairds Campsite (East Sussex) (Has a glamping POD and plans for a 2nd one).
Rother Valley, (Northiam, Kent)
Blacklands Farm (Henfield, West Sussex)

Carole

MarkH

Carole, I know all of these sites and I would attend/support dsc at any of these venues. I hope to attend some dsc's this year and will bring along  some new blood.

Mike

Petra and I plan on going if there is enough interest. can't comment on the first two campsites but Rother Valley has a good sky but not a great view to the South plus it is very damp. Blacklands has a good all round sky but it isn't very dark.

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

julian

I plan on going to DSC

Julian

Kenny

I'm a maybe. I abhor camping, especially in the cold. I'm overdue a visit though. Only one of those sites I've been to is Northiam so will take your advice on venue.

Carole

I'll add my own comments to the list.

Caird's - nice and dark, good sky line except in the west.  Some planes to the West (heading towards Gatwick, though I don't remember noticing them the first time I was there.  Small, friendly and helpful, not lots of public, Glamping POD (a 2nd one to come), he will turn the light out on the hook up.  Not really available in the peak season unless we pre-book.  There is a country road on the Western side, but the lights were at right angles to the camping field.  I personally did not find they upset the imaging. 

Running Water - Dark skies, he will turn the loo light out, could get the campsite to ourselves, possible bookings even in the summer as he doesn't advertise.  Was damp on one night, but not the following night.

Rother Valley: Dark, friendly, not really available in the peak season unless we pre-book.  Public wandering around with lights, not much Southern sky line.  Frequently damp.

Blacklands: It's a good site, but personally I think too many public and lights, and noise from Cess pit drainage at 6am!!!  I personally think this site should be our last choice.

Carole

ApophisAstros

as an eager observer, always be interested carol.
hope to get a solar filter for my newtonian so hedging my bets!!

roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

Tony G

Tuesnoad.....do what you want, when you want. ;)

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Carole

QuoteTuesnoad.....do what you want, when you want.
No hook up though and poor toilet/washing facilities.

Carole

Delphine

I am keen to come to DSC's this year.  I have only been to Northiam and Blacklands and prefer Northiam - but I am not an imager so can't really comment.

Delphine

JohnP

QuoteTuesnoad...

Or Penny's field....used to love that one as well....

Carole

Penny's field also doesn't have hook up, and many people are dependent on this now.  Plus she let us down very badly, even if they had subsequently installed hook up, do we want to go back there again after what happened?

Carole

Carole

I make this 8 people interested so far, plus others who have not replied yet.

I'll let this run for a few more days and then discuss the February DSC on a separate thread. 

Carole

Carole

QuoteCarole, I know all of these sites
MarkH, have you actually used these sites or just know them?

Carole

The Thing

I am interested even if not often available in the future. I hope to be around for the March DSC. It's great fun as well as a fantastic imaging opportunity, visual observing opportunity, a chance to eye up other peoples kit and to ask silly questions like "When are you going to pack up tonight Fay so that the sky will clear?" (remarkably effective and vital for DSC success ;).