• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Forum enhancement for mobile devices

Started by Ivor, Jan 05, 2015, 15:50:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Ivor

I have been accessing a number of forums on my phone using an app called Tapatalk which provides various types of feeds including what you've missed since you've last logged. I see there is a plugin for SMF (our forum application) https://tapatalk.com/activate_tapatalk.php?plugin=smf is there any reason why we can't support this or is there an alternative available already?

It would be great to have a mobile friendly front end for on the go; especially when it's free!

Rick

At present we have no plugins in SMF at all. It makes it much easier to keep the forum software up-to-date.

Ivor

Surely it only needs updating when you upgrade the forum software which isn't that often from what I recall. If there was enough interest from members could this be considered?

Mac

What does the plug in actually do?
I know that some times the subject of recent unread topics is an issue, but all i did to get round that is save the shortcut to the link listing all unread messages.
http://forum.orpington-astronomy.org.uk/index.php?action=unread;all;start=0

There is one thing that bugs me beyond belief is that a lot of web sites want to send you the mobile version
of the web page as opposed to the full version, the last three phones i have owned have always been able to support the full web pages, and when they do get sent the mobile page its normally unusable.
I think in this day and age the the full web site should be pushed first and if that dosent work then the mobile site pushed.

Mac

MarkS

Likewise - I avoid using Tapatalk on forums.  I'm happy for it to be presented as an option as long as I'm not forced to use it.

MarkH

I have to agree with Mac and Mark entirely, with those sites it just takes so much more time to do anything.

Ivor

Tapatalk is an app which basically provides you a bunch of RSS feeds of the forums, it doesn't impact the ability to access the website via a browser. For example it provides a feed of unread, participated, trending and timelined topics,  which I've found helpful in avoiding missed updates to threads.

I've got limited access during the day (as well as a modest screen and data plan) so this is a fast and compact way to look at the forum and access those areas of interest.

I don't really use it to write replies unless they are breif, the website is still the best method for that.  I don't believe there are any negatives from adding it, however if I'm the only one using it then it's not worth it.

Rick

If you don't mind, I think I'd prefer to keep the forum plugin-free. Updates to the forum software happen from time to time, and when there are no custom modifications they're dead simple to apply and most folk don't even notice they've happened. As soon as you start adding plugins and such that process becomes less simple.