• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Jupiter 29 Dec 2014 01:16:41 from Beckenham

Started by The Thing, Dec 29, 2014, 18:52:08

Previous topic - Next topic

The Thing

Meade LX90 8" UHTC, Moonfish 2" x2 ED Barlow, Moonfish variable extension tube and t-mount adapter, Pierro Astro Astmospheric Dispersion Corrector, Phillips SPC900NC (in that order). Manually guided, freshly and exhaustively collimated (blooming nippy work last night!).

300 of 1000 frames @30fps in SharpCap. PIPP cropped, quality selected and compressed (saves vast amount of disk space), Autostakkert! using Sigma Stacking option to remove dust bunnies, Registax to sharpen and tweak colour and curves. This is actual size as captured.

AS_p75_Multi_Jupiter 2014-12-29T01_16_41_ulrg_g3_ap133_RGSTX
by AstroDunc, on Flickr

MarkS

Excellent detail there Duncan.  Is it your best yet?

It just needs a slight colour balance - it looks a bit too blue/green.

Mark

The Thing

Thanks Mark. Definitely my best yet, can't believe the detail, I must be getting near the scopes resolution and performance limits. The ADC has really made a difference though adjusting it is a bit hit and miss, seemingly I need a Wratten 47 violet filter to enable me to do this properly. I did tweak the hue and upped the saturation to bring out the variations in the colour of the festoons, barges and such. Maybe a bit too much.

The Thing

I've adjusted the hue, hopefully for the better. Also found the Replace option on Flickr which is a bonus!

JohnP

Really nice Duncan - Very impressed with detail - was that from Beckenham..?  John

MarkS

Quote from: The Thing
Also found the Replace option on Flickr which is a bonus!

Is that what causes the "This photo is no longer available" message?

The Thing

The photo is visible here for me and I changed no Flickr settings so it should be OK.

MarkS

Maybe just my machine then.  Every time I hit F5 in my browser, the image in your disappears to be replaced with "This photo is no longer available".

Mark

Mac

Not just your machine,
Same here, this photo is no longer available.

Mac.

JohnP

The Thing

The Thing

Fixed the photo guys, I rashly assumed if I was replacing the photo the URL would stay the same.

RobertM

Thanks Duncan, it looks much better now I can see it :)

That's a really excellent image with a lot of tantalising detail coming through.  How much more detail do you think you can get with that rig and is there more fine adjustment to to corrector that can be done ?

I expect things will improve from Normandy...

Robert

JohnP

Well I have to say that's a great job for Beckenham.. Am tempted to try planetary again myself - I still have my old MN56 (5 inch F6 Mak-Newt) somewhere in my shed - probably as dusty & mouldy as anything but we will see. What I haven't got anymore is a Toucam - so any recommendations for a nice high speed vid camera or similar..

John

Fay

you have done really well there Duncan, you do persevere!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!