• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Good night tonight....................

Started by Fay, Dec 13, 2014, 12:49:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

...and I am out for another meal, cant believe it!!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

MarkS

Forecast down my way is fog after 9pm :(

They could be wrong though ...

RobertM

Yes its the best night we've had for ages up here  8)

MarkS

I've seen a few meteors already.  Medium brightness, very slow moving and skirting above the tree line.  Hopefully I've captured one or two on camera.

JohnP

Mark if you don't capture them there is no hope for any of us....!

Mike

Petra and I have just stood outside for 10-15 minutes and we counted 12. Sky is mostly clear with a few hazy patches.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

MarkH

Wow we have seen loads. Some of duration of 3-4 seconds and very bright, brightest, I would say about -7 or -8

Kenny

4-5 hours at Herstmonceux for their Open evening, Wheeldon Astro club were also there with a variety of telescopes and doing radio astronomy. 4 of the 6 domes were open, 3 with the huge telescopes and 1 for the radio astronomy. 35 meteors seen, most slow moving (5+ in the wrong direction / position so likely not Geminids). Milky Way visible, M42 (Orion nebula), M45 (Pleiades), M35 / 36 / 37 / 38, M31 (Andromeda), M33 (Triangulum), Jupiter, Radio Astronomy, Astrophotography chat with a professional photographer and friendly, interesting company. Lovely evening.

Fay

what a nice evening for Hesrtmonceaux Kenny. glad all had a good time

mickw

Chris and Tony popped down yesterday to help with some stuff so I was forced to go outside at around midnight to try and see some Geminids.
Only stayed out for about 5 mins but saw about 15-20  mostly medium brightness but a couple of bright ones and one in particular nearly made it to the western horizon but started to break up at about 5-10 degrees  :o
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

JohnP

Mick, should have let me know - would have popped down as well.. Skies in Bromley were pants - cloud kept passing - saw only one in about an hour  :-( oh to move to the countryside.... Only positive was that I found out my little canon compact actually takes OK photo's of night sky now I have figured out how to override stock software with 'Canon Hack Software'..

John

Carole

Shame to miss these clear evenings but been unwell for a couple of weeks with some sort of virus that went on my chest, and I still have a really bad cough which is set off by going out in the cold.

Must get better before I try imaging again.

:unwell:

Carole

Fay

thought you were quiet Carole. hope you get better soon, dont rush it

mickw

Quote from: JohnP on Dec 14, 2014, 13:41:48
Mick, should have let me know - would have popped down as well..

You wouldn't have enjoyed it, only 5 mins outside in the cold, rest of the time was beer and violent videos  ;)
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional